The Littlehampton Academy
|Motto||Respect, Explore, Aspire, Persevere|
|Acting Principal||Morgan Thomas|
|Executive Principal||Paul Kennedy|
|Chair of Academy Council||Christopher Honeyman-Brown|
|Local authority||West Sussex|
|DfE URN||135745 Tables|
Light blue and purple
|Sponsors||Woodard Academy Trust|
The Littlehampton Academy is a mixed gender academy, sponsored by Woodard Schools and West Sussex County Council, in Littlehampton, West Sussex, England, which opened in September 2009. The academy replaced The Littlehampton Community School, which closed in August 2009.
The proposal of an academy in Littlehampton was first made in 2007, shortly after The Littlehampton Community School lost out to Bognor Regis Community College in the bidding for a full rebuild under the Building Schools for the Future. Shortly afterwards, the school and Woodard Schools signed an agreement to work together to turn the school into the academy, alongside two other establishments in West Sussex. The Department for Children, Schools and Families formally approved the academy proposals in September 2008, announcing that the existing establishment would close on 31 August 2009. The Littlehampton Academy opened on the same site, and using the same buildings, the next day on 1 September.
Campus and buildings
On its opening, the academy inherited a range of old and modern buildings previously accommodating the predecessor Littlehampton Community School. Plans were submitted to West Sussex County Council in August 2010 for the demolition of most of the existing buildings, to be replaced with an academy building with a capacity of 1,900 students. The application received planning permission from the council on 2 November 2010.
Construction of the new buildings commenced in December 2010, and lasted for 18 months. Construction of the new building took place on what had been school fields. The new building was completed on time in June 2012, with students moving in at the start of the 2012/13 academic year in September 2012. This move was followed by the demolition of the now derelict buildings that had been vacated, followed by landscaping.
- 2009–2013: Steve Jewell
- 2014–2016: Marianne Gentilli
- 2016–present: Morgan Thomas and Paul Kennedy (executive principal)
- The Littlehampton Academy - July 2009 Newsletter
- BBC News - Schools close under academy plan
- Major School Investment in Bognor and Littlehampton
- West Sussex County Council: Exciting Plans to make Littlehampton Community School an Academy
- BBC News - Three schools to become academies
- BBC News - Government approves two academies
- BBC News - Schools close under academies plan
- "Planning Application WSCC/083/10/LU". West Sussex County Council. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Design and build". West Sussex County Council. Retrieved 8 January 2014.