The Lone Bellow
|The Lone Bellow|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Genres||Americana, alt-country, indie folk|
|Labels||Descendant, Sony Masterworks|
The Lone Bellow began as a songwriting project for Zach Williams, whose wife had suffered temporary paralysis following a horseback riding accident. During his wife's recovery, Williams coped with the experience by writing in a journal. At the urging of his friends, Williams learned how to play the guitar and turned his journal entries into songs. Following his wife's recovery, the couple moved to New York City in order to pursue their creative endeavors.[better source needed]
Previously, Williams had been performing as a solo act around Brooklyn and New York City, occasionally being backed by a hired band.[better source needed] Williams recalls when The Lone Bellow's guitarist and old friend, Brian Elmquist met at Dizzy's Diner in Park Slope.[better source needed] Williams invited fellow singer Kanene Pipkin to join them at the diner, and it was then that the trio was initially conceived. Initially known as Zach Williams and the Bellow, the band shortened its name to The Lone Bellow before putting out any official releases. In 2012, the group signed with Descendant Records, a newly formed imprint of Sony Music, and released its self-titled debut, produced by Charlie Peacock, in January 2013. It was recorded at local NYC venue Rockwood Music Hall over the course of three days.
The album appeared at No. 64 on the Billboard 200. People named it No. 8 of the Top 10 Albums of 2013 and Entertainment Weekly said it was "One of the top reasons to love country music in 2013". The album was featured on 10 different Best of 2013 year-end lists.
The band announced in early 2014 that they would be recording a new album with producer Aaron Dessner of The National. The band released the first single from the album, "Then Came the Morning", which premiered on NPR's website on October 6, 2014. The band released a second single, titled "Fake Roses", which premiered on Stereogum on November 3, 2014. The album was released on January 27, 2015. Later in 2015, they toured the UK with Kacey Musgraves and were nominated for an Americana Music Award for Duo/Group of the Year on the strength of their album. In early 2016 the band members relocated to Nashville.
In 2017, Descendant Records partnered with Sony Masterworks to release the band's third album, Walk Into a Storm, recorded at the RCA Studio A in Nashville, produced by Dave Cobb and released on September 15, 2017.
- Zach Williams - guitar, lead vocals
- Kanene Donehey Pipkin - mandolin, bass, keyboard, vocals
- Brian Elmquist - guitar, vocals
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|The Lone Bellow||
|Then Came the Morning||
|Walk Into a Storm||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Bleeding Out"||2013||17||The Lone Bellow|
|"Then Came the Morning"||2014||17||Then Came the Morning|
|"Take My Love"||2015||21|
|"Time's Always Leaving"||2017||25||Walk Into a Storm|
|"—" denotes singles that did not chart or were not released|
Awards and nominations
|2015||Americana Music Honors & Awards||Duo/Group of the Year||Themselves||Nominated|
- "Sony Music Masterworks and Descendant Records Partner on New Album by The Lone Bellow: New Album Coming Fall 2017". Sony Masterworks. May 11, 2017. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- Review, No Depression
- "Official Website". Thelonebellow. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "The Lone Bellow - Biography, Albums, Streaming Links". AllMusic. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Spotlight: The Lone Bellow. Billboard
- Review, Paste
- Review, Tampa Bay Times
- "The Lone Bellow-Chart History". Billboard.com. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 14, 2014.
- "All Songs Considered: The Lone Bellow 'Then Came the Morning'". NPR.org. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- "The Lone Bellow-"Fake Roses" (Stereogum Premiere)". Stereogum.
- The Lone Bellow [@TheLoneBellow] (January 27, 2015). "Our new album is available on @amazonmusic for $6.99 also here's @brianelmquist in the wild" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thompson, Stephen (June 13, 2017). "The Lone Bellow Announces 'Walk Into A Storm,' Releases New Single". NPR Music. Retrieved September 18, 2017.
- "Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Alternative Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Americana/Folk Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "The Lone Bellow - Chart History". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 15, 2017.