The Long Dumb Road
|The Long Dumb Road|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hannah Fidell|
|Music by||Keegan DeWitt|
|Cinematography||Andrew Droz Palermo|
|Edited by||Zach Clark|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
The Long Dumb Road is a 2018 American road trip comedy film written, directed and produced by Hannah Fidell and co-written by Carson D. Mell. It stars Tony Revolori, Jason Mantzoukas, Taissa Farmiga, Grace Gummer, Casey Wilson, Pamela Reed, and Ron Livingston.
Two guys serendipitously meet at a time when they both find themselves at personal crossroads. They then decide to embark on an unplanned road trip together across the American Southwest.
- Tony Revolori as Nathan
- Jason Mantzoukas as Richard
- Taissa Farmiga as Rebecca
- Grace Gummer as Nina
- Casey Wilson as Stacey
- Pamela Reed as Dotty
- Ron Livingston as François
- Casey Wilson as Sharon Richards
- Ciara Bravo as Ashly Richards
- Annie Lederman as Monica
- Lindsay Burdge as Girl in Car
- Will Brittain as Dude in Car
At South by Southwest in March 2015, where her film 6 Years was premiering, director Hannah Fidell revealed that she had co-written a screenplay for a road trip comedy film with her friend Carson D. Mell, writer of Silicon Valley. The previous year, she had directed a short film version of the script, titled The Road, with Mell and Peter Vack starring in the main roles and Andrew Droz Palermo serving as director of photography.
On April 12, 2017, as additional photography was about to commence, it was reported that Tony Revolori and Jason Mantzoukas had been cast in the lead roles, with Taissa Farmiga, Grace Gummer, Ron Livingston, Casey Wilson, Pamela Reed, and Ciara Bravo portraying supporting roles in the film. Revolori and Mantzoukas will play the two roles Mell and Vack portrayed in the short film version.
The Long Dumb Road had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2018. Shortly after, Universal Pictures acquired distribution rights to the film. It was released on November 9, 2018.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 76% based on 25 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.14/10. Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 64 out of 100, based on reviews from 12 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Premieres – The Long Dumb Road". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- "The Long Dumb Road". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Kamen, Tory (March 13, 2015). "SXSW Women Directors: Meet Hannah Fidell – '6 Years'". IndieWire. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Brown, Emma (December 24, 2014). "Peter Vack, in Focus". Interview. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (April 12, 2017). "Jason Mantzoukas, Tony Revolori to Star in Indie Road Trip Film (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Latest Film Notices – January 2017". Silver Platinum Downtown. January 13, 2017. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Gomez, Adrian (April 13, 2017). "Indie 'Long Dumb Road' is filming in ABQ, Belen". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Debruge, Peter (December 19, 2017). "Sundance Rounds Out 2018 Festival Lineup With Nearly a Dozen Late Additions". Variety. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (April 17, 2018). "Jason Mantzoukas' Sundance Comedy 'The Long Dumb Road' Acquired by Universal". Variety. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (April 17, 2018). "Sundance Road Trip Comedy 'The Long Dumb Road' Acquired By Universal Pics Group". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 19, 2018.
- "Hannah Fidell's Road Trip Comedy 'The Long Dumb Road' Sets November Release Date". Vimooz.com. July 30, 2018. Retrieved July 30, 2018.
- "The Long Dumb Road (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- "The Long Dumb Road Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Nicholson, Amy (January 19, 2018). "Sundance Film Review: 'The Long Dumb Road'". Variety.