The Long Hello
|The Long Hello|
|Studio album by David Jackson
Hugh Banton, Guy Evans
and Nic Potter
|Recorded||August 1973 at Foel Studios, Cefn Coch, Montgomeryshire, Wales|
Hugh Banton, Guy Evans
and Nic Potter chronology
The Long Hello is a studio instrumental album by David Jackson, Hugh Banton, Guy Evans and Nic Potter recorded in August 1973 and released in Italy in 1974 (and Britain and Europe in 1976). It was engineered by Hugh Banton, and it was mixed at the Chalk Farm Studio, London.
David Jackson, Hugh Banton, Guy Evans and Nic Potter had all been members of Van der Graaf Generator, but that band had split up in August 1972 (reformed in 1975).
In 1981 Nic Potter and Guy Evans released a sort of follow-up to this album, The Long Hello Volume Two. There also is a Long Hello Volume Three (David Jackson and Guy Evans, 1982) and Long Hello Volume Four (David Jackson, Guy Evans, and Life of Riley, 1983). The album Gentlemen Prefer Blues (Jackson, Banton, Evans, 1985) is sometimes regarded as a sort of Long Hello Volume Five.
- "The Theme From (Plunge)" (David Jackson) – 5:31
- "The O Flat Session" (Pietro Messina) – 5:32
- "Morris To Cape Roth" (David Jackson) – 6:33
- "Brain Seizure" (Hugh Banton) – 4:01
- "Fairhazel Gardens" (David Jackson, Pietro Messina) – 7:56
- "Looking At You" (David Jackson) – 6:16
- "I've Lost My Cat" (David Jackson) – 8:28
- David Jackson – saxophones, flute, piano
- Hugh Banton – all instruments on "Brain Seizure", bass on "The O Flat Session"
- Guy Evans – drums
- Nic Potter – bass
- Ced Curtis – electric guitar, bass on "Fairhazel Gardens"
- Pietro Messina – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano
|1974||LP||United Artists||UAL 24033||Italy|
|1976||LP||(no Label, self issued)||LTH-100-A1||UK|
|1976||LP||Butt Records||NOTT 002||UK|
Published by Static Music Ltd, the album was originally released in Italy (1974) on the United Artists record label. It was then released in the UK by the band themselves as a limited edition of 5,000. The back cover of the record's sleeve was stamped with an individual number, some of which are smudged and difficult to read. The musician Pietro Messina is misspelled on the cover as Piero Messina.
- "Long Hello, The – The Long Hello (LP, Ltd) at Discogs". www.discogs.com. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "THE LONG HELLO The Long Hello Vol. 1 music reviews and MP3". www.progarchives.com. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- "Nic Potter as Group Member/Guest/Producer, The Long Hello (LP & CD) at www.nicpotter.eu". www.nicpotter.eu. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- Mota, Eduardo. "Van der Graaf Tribute Site – Discography: The Long Hello Vol. 1". gaudela.net. Retrieved 22 January 2012.