The Long Wait
|The Long Wait|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Victor Saville|
|Produced by||Lesser Samuels|
|Based on||the novel
by Mickey Spillane
|Music by||Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco|
|Edited by||Ronald Sinclair|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Box office||$1.5 million|
Johnny McBride is badly hurt while hitch hiking and loses his memory when the car he is riding in crashes. Two years later, a clue leads him to his old home town, where he finds he is a murder suspect. McBride tries to clear his name of the presumed murder charges. Thugs working for the local mob boss try to end his meddling.
- Anthony Quinn as Johnny McBride
- Charles Coburn as Gardiner
- Gene Evans as Servo
- Peggie Castle as Venus
- Mary Ellen Kay as Wendy Miller
- Shirley Patterson as Carol Shay (as Shawn Smith)
- Dolores Donlon as Troy Avalon
- Barry Kelley as Tucker
- James Millican as Police Capt. Lindsey
- Bruno VeSota as Eddie Packman
- Jay Adler as Joe--Bellhop
- John Damler as Alan Logan
- Frank Marlowe as Pop Henderson
Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward writes: "The inclusion of amnesia, giving the hero a sense of hopelessness compounded by the frustration of his loss of identity, instills a distinct existential bias into McBride's search. This attitude combines with a pervading sense of corruption and dehumanization to give The Long Wait a fatalistic noir ethos."
- Stanfield, Peter (2011). Maximum Movies - Pulp Fictions. Rutgers University Press. pp. 95–98. ISBN 9780813551036.
- Collins, Max Allan; Traylor, James L. (2012). Mickey Spillane on Screen. McFarland & Company. pp. 27–35. ISBN 9780786492428.