The Love Doctors
|Running time||5 hours (2pm - 7 p.m.) Monday - Friday|
|Home station||WZZR 94.3 FM|
|Opening theme||"Green Onions" by Booker T. & the M.G.s|
|Ending theme||"Psychedelic Sally" by Medeski, Martin & Wood|
|Website||The Love Docs at WZZR|
The Love Doctors is a radio show on WZZR Real Radio in West Palm Beach, Florida, that airs from 2 pm - 7 p.m. EST. Hosting the show is Rich Dickerson (Dr. Rich) along with Glenn Curtis (Dr. Glenn) and Lea as the co-hosts.
The show never has a set topic, and other than asking the caller their name and where they are calling from, the calls are unscreened. Listeners are solicited to call with whatever is on their mind; as such, the show covers a wide variety of topics over the course of a single show. Occasionally, the Love Doctors may play a comedy bit, such as Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song" or one in which Paul Harvey endorses bongs. The premise of the show is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story," and this premise is often put to good use over the course of the show.
Following the aftermath of Hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jeanne in 2004, many of WZZR's on-air personalities provided non-stop hurricane recovery coverage for three weeks, helping the hurricane-ravaged area with information such as where to get supplies, official statements and interviews with state of Florida representatives, etc.
Adding to the popularity of The Love Doctors radio show are the numerous controversial revelations made about the personal lives of the hosts.
Love Doctors Charities, Inc.
The Love Doctors Charities, Inc., is an organization registered with the State of Florida (registration number CH18873) and the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation started by the Love Doctors in 2001.
In the beginning years of the Toy Drive Marathon, the Love Doctors would broadcast live for 28 hours straight (with only commercial breaks to spell them, as they play no songs) to raise money and toys for Christmas. 2007 saw a new format for the Toy Drive with The Love Doctors broadcasting live from two different locations in the listening area for 12 hours each.
For Christmas 2007, the Love Doctors Charities raised over $255,000. Since 1994, the charity has raised over one million dollars for children and families in the listening area (Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, and Okeechobee Counties).
- Children Helped: 67,866
- Money Raised: $1,420,900
- Scholarships for children to attend the Florida Diabetes Camp
- Assistance to families struggling with medical or financial challenges
- Support for programs targeting at-risk children
- Wheelchairs and ramps provided for persons with disabilities
- School supplies for new teachers
- Armed Services Care Packages
- Major contributor to build a special needs playground at the Challenger School in Martin County
- Computers for students
- Thanksgiving turkeys to the Migrant Association of South Florida
- 2004 Hurricane Relief
- CD #9 - It's For The Kids
- CD #8 - What A Pair
- CD #7 - It's Just A Show!
- CD #6 - Nice Headphones!
- CD #5 - What's the Point?
- CD #4 - The Alimony Album
- CD #3 - Trailers, Banjos & 'Alumium' Cans
- CD #2 - What Kind of Idiot Burns a Van?
- CD #1 - The Worst of The Love Doctors
Notes and references
- LoveDoctors.org - The Love Doctors Charities Official website