The Lyon's Den
|The Lyon's Den|
Series title card
|Created by||Remi Aubuchon|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (7 unaired in US)|
|Production company(s)||Brad Grey Television
Baby Owl Works
20th Century Fox Television
|Original release||September 28 – November 30, 2003|
The Lyon's Den is a 2003 television series set in Washington, D.C. The legal drama starred Rob Lowe as a lawyer named Jack Turner, newly appointed as partner of a long-established law firm that, as the plot revealed, harbored some dark secrets; the series' title and firm's name are allusions to the surname of Lowe, who also served as executive producer. Much of the plot centered on the firm's internal politics and on Turner's attempts to uncover information on some of the firm's conspiracies while acting as the defense for some of the firm's higher-profile clients in a different case each episode.
The series premiered on the American television network NBC on September 28, 2003, but although thirteen episodes were ordered and produced, only six aired before NBC cancelled the show due to poor ratings. When the UK's channel five bought the UK terrestrial TV rights to the series in 2004, it aired all thirteen episodes.
Lowe said, in an May 9, 2014 appearance on the NPR radio gameshow Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, that he and the show's producers purposefully made all 13 episodes - which they were contractually obligated to make for possible DVD distribution - as absurd as possible. The last episode ended with Lowe's character being exposed as a serial killer by Grant Rushton (Kyle Chandler), whom he then killed before jumping to his death from the firm's office tower.
- John "Jack" Turner (Rob Lowe), "the most principled lawyer" working for the corrupt firm Lyons, Lacrosse, and Levine longtime friend
- Grant Rashton (Kyle Chandler), one of "amoral lawyers"
- Brit Hanley (Frances Fisher), Rashton's "evil secretary"
- Ariel Saxon (Elizabeth Mitchell), a lawyer recovering from alcoholism, hired by her lover Rashton to "discredit Jack"
- Jeff Fineman (David Krumholtz), Ariel Saxon's paralegal, who is attracted to her
- Terrance Christianson (James Pickens Jr.), one of "amoral lawyers"
- Harlan M. Turner (Rip Torn), the Washington, D.C. senator and Jack's father
- The Lyon's Den at the Internet Movie Database
- The Lyon's Den at TV.com
- Wait Wait Rob Lowe appearance and interview: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/11/398798395/brat-pack-member-rob-lowe-gets-quizzed-on-bratwurst