The M Machine
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The M Machine
|Origin||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Labels||OWSLA, Mad Zoo|
|Members||Ben "Swardy" Swardlick|
|Past members||Andy Coenen|
The M Machine is an American electronic music duo from San Francisco, California, United States, formed in 2011 and currently consisting of Ben Swardlick and Eric Luttrell. They have released four EPs, a single and two remix collections on Skrillex's label OWSLA. The group has reached the overall #1 slot on Beatport on multiple occasions.
The group originally went by the moniker Pance Party. They initially had viral success with a teaser video for their planned full-length album Metropolis, which later became split into two EPs. Their double A-side "Promise Me A Rose Garden" / "Glow" was released on Skrillex's label OWSLA in 2011, becoming the #1 Electro House release on Beatport, and #2 overall release for an entire week. "Promise Me A Rose Garden" was named Hottest Record in the World on October 20, 2011 by Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1.
In April 2012, the group released Metropolis Pt. I, the first installment of their two-part concept album. Metropolis Pt. I premiered online in Rolling Stone magazine, followed by a worldwide release the next day, reaching number one on the Beatport overall chart. Metropolis Pt. II was released February 19, 2013 on OWSLA to critical acclaim, also reaching the number one overall spot on Beatport.
Inspired by Fritz Lang's influential film Metropolis, together the two EPs tell the story of the dystopian city of Metropolis. A text/illustrated version of the story is also available in the form of digital liner notes on the band's website. The Metropolis saga was completed with the release of Metropolis Remixed, a revamped retrospective of the previous two EPs that featured remixes from Kill The Noise, Digitalism, Robotaki, and more. On February 23, 2017, they released their debut album Glare on Mad Zoo.
On January 28, 2015, Andy announced his departure from the group to pursue his interest in programming and technology, making the former trio a duo.
Also in January 2014, the group released the single "Superflat" on OWSLA, followed by the Just Like EP in November of that year. Just Like signaled a change in direction as the group moved towards more underground, club-oriented sound. A remix pack, Just Like Remixes was released in April 2015 featuring Manila Killa, CRNKN, and Worthy among others.
The group has toured in support of acts including Skrillex, Porter Robinson, The Glitch Mob, Madeon, Markus Schulz, and more, in addition to a slew of their own headline runs. They have also played premier music festivals including Ultra Music Festival, Electric Daisy Carnival, Holy Ship!, Hard Summer, Outside Lands, South by Southwest, TomorrowWorld, Mysteryland, Electric Zoo and Shambhala.
|Metropolis Part I||
|Metropolis Part II||
|Just Like Remixes||
|Metropolis: The B-Sides||
|2011||"Promise Me A Rose Garden / Glow"||OWSLA|
|2015||" Mr. Voice And The Cloudtop Glide Along"||Self-released|
|2012||"No Fun Intended"||OWSLA Presents: Free Treats Vol. II||OWSLA|
|2013||"Lift" (Digitalism featuring The M Machine)||Lift EP||Kitsuné|
|2011||"Cal State Anthem"||PeaceTreaty feat. Kissed With a Noise||Self-released|
|2012||"Take A Walk"||Passion Pit||Columbia Records|
|"Lightspeed"||Kill The Noise & Datsik||OWSLA|
|2013||"Locked Out of Heaven"||Bruno Mars||Atlantic Records|
|"Together We Are"||Arty||Big Beat Records|
|"Middle Finger Pt. 2"||Dog Blood||OWSLA / Boys Noize Records|
|"DNA" (The M Machine Remix for Helios)||Empire of the Sun||Self-released|
|"DNA" (The M Machine Remix for Apollo)||Empire of the Sun||Self-released|
|"Lucid Dreams"||Mat Zo||Anjunabeats|
|2014||"Sound of Erasing"||Rubblebucket||Self-released|
|2015||"On The Ground"||Rubblebucket||Communion Records|
|2016||"All That's Left"||Manila Killa||Next Wave Records|
- "The M Machine say goodbye to 'Metropolis' and get personal for new album - Dancing Astronaut". 5 June 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "New Song: The M Machine Featuring Blake Hazard, 'The Palace'". Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "The M Machine". OWSLA. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "The M Machine are Kicking Their Own Asses". 4 March 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Interview: The M Machine - NEST HQ". 29 August 2013. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Pance Party is The M Machine (formerly Metropolis)". Freshwetpaint.com. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- "The M Machine Archives". OWSLA. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- Zane Lowe. "Zane Lowe's Hottest Records blog: Hottest Record - The M Machine - Promise Me A Rose Garden". BBC. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- Rogulewski, Charley (2012-04-23). "Exclusive EP Stream: The M Machine, 'Metropolis Pt. I'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "The M Machine Discuss Sci-Fi Animation And The Making Of Their New Video 'Tiny Anthem'". Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "The M Machine Builds iPad-Controlled Light Show From Scratch". WIRED. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "The M Machine Announces Debut Album | SF Station - San Francisco's City Guide". Pulse.sfstation.com. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Music — The M Machine". The-m-machine.com. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "A message from Andy to our fans". Facebook.com. 2015-01-28. Retrieved 2015-01-29.