The Madden Brothers
|The Madden Brothers|
|Origin||Waldorf, Maryland, USA|
|Associated acts||Good Charlotte|
Twin brothers Joel and Benji Madden formed The Madden Brothers officially in 2014 as a side project separate from Good Charlotte, but have origins dating back to 2011. While with Good Charlotte, Joel was mainly the lead vocalist with Benji being lead guitar and backup vocalist. They released a total of five studio albums, two live albums, two extended plays, twenty singles, seventeen music videos and three music DVDs. All of their studio albums received certification including The Young and the Hopeless, which was certified 3× Platinum in the United States and reached number 1 on the Canadian Albums Chart. During their time with Good Charlotte, the brothers saw the sale of over ten million albums worldwide.
Joel and Benji had been working on The Madden Brothers project since 2011 when they began working on different ways of music. They released a free mixtape a short time later in October 2011. Titled Before — Volume One, it included collaborations with artists such as Casey Veggies, Wiz Khalifa, Machine Gun Kelly, Rockie Fresh, and The Cool Kids and was said to be made simply for the fun of music.
The Madden Brothers began working with producer Pharrell Williams and planned to release an album in late 2012. The plans fell through for the album release but both continued to work on the project. In 2013, the Madden Brothers lend their voices to animated versions of themselves in the form of two characters, depicted as twin lizard punk rockers and brothers (hence their tattoo-like stripes and/or spots on their scaly skins) created by Michael Patterson, who both appeared in several music videos (with the likes of Bugs Bunny, MC Skat Kat, the Stray Mob, Yakety Yak, and Tibi the Take it Back Butterfly), which are produced by Warner Bros. Animation Studios.
The Madden Brothers finally released their first single in June 2014. Titled "We Are Done", the song was placed in regular rotation in major markets and became a top 40 track on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles and Alternative Radio charts. It is a song about standing up for yourself according to Benji, made to inspire people to speak up for themselves. The song is from the album Greetings from California, produced by Eric Valentine and Joe Chiccarelli, which was released on September 16, 2014.
- Current Members
- Joel Madden – lead vocals (2011–present)
- Benji Madden – guitar, lead and backing vocals (2011–present)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Greetings from California||1||2|
|Before — Volume One||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Let the World Be Still"||2012||—||—||non-album single|
|"We Are Done"||2014||1||1||Greetings from California|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Bogosian, Dan (September 25, 2013). "Madden Brothers Sign To Capitol Records". Under The Gun Review. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Mendizabal, Amaya (June 13, 2014). "Tomorrow's Hits: Good Charlotte's Madden Brothers Return with Pharrell". Billboard. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Van Boom, Daniel (May 22, 2014). "Twinning is winning! Benji and Joel Madden break away from Good Charlotte and announce their new band". The Daily Mail. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Pous, Terri (January 3, 2013). "Double Vision: Top 10 Famous Twins - Joel and Benji Madden". Time Magazine. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Eger, Marcus (29 March 2012). "Cinematic Melodies - Last Night by Good Charlotte". The Examiner.
- Brown, Jonathan (June 18, 2014). "The Madden Brothers Are Done With Good Charlotte for Now". The Liberty Voice. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Baltin, Steve (June 19, 2014). "Benji and Joel Madden Introduce New Band the Madden Brothers". Rolling Stone. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Good Charlotte announce plans to go on hiatus". NME. September 1, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Moore, Jacob (November 11, 2011). "Mixtape Premiere: The Madden Brothers Before Volume One". Complex. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- Mann, Tom (June 2, 2014). "Joel and Benji Madden's new single is not what you would expect". Faster Louder. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Discography The Madden Brothers". Hung Medien. australian-charts.com. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "Discography The Madden Brothers". Hung Medien. charts.org.nz. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "We Are Done – Single by The Madden Brothers". iTunes Store (Australia). Apple. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Peak positions for singles in Australia:
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2014 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. September 8, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2014.