The Magician (2005 film)
|Directed by||Scott Ryan|
|Written by||Scott Ryan|
|Produced by||Michele Bennett|
|Edited by||Scott Ryan|
I Will Films
|Distributed by||Hopscotch Productions|
Trinity Filmed Entertainment
|18 June 2005 (Sydney Film Festival)|
The Magician is a 2005 Australian film written and directed by Scott Ryan. The film was originally shot over 10 days with a budget of A$3,000. Ryan edited a half-hour version of the film for screening at the St. Kilda Film Festival, where it was seen by stuntman and film producer Nash Edgerton (brother of Joel Edgerton), who took the project under his wing. After receiving A$330,000 in government grants, the film was re-released in 2005.
A mockumentary that follows the escapades of Ray Shoesmith, a Melbourne underworld hitman who hires a film student to document his life.
- Scott Ryan as Ray Shoesmith
- Ben Walker as Tony Richards
- Massimiliano Andrighetto as Massimo "Max" Totti
- Kane Mason as Benny
- Nathaniel Lindsay as Edna
The Magician grossed $182,164 at the box office in Australia.
The film holds a 75% approval rating from critics based on 16 reviews at Rotten Tomatoes.
Awards and nominations
|2005||Best Actor in a Lead Role||Scott Ryan||Nominated|
|2005||Best Actor||Scott Ryan||Nominated|
|Independent Spirit Award||Nash Edgerton
|2003||Best Actor||Scott Ryan||Won|
|Best Director||Scott Ryan||Won|
|Best Film||Scott Ryan||Won|
A television spinoff based on the Ray Shoesmith character premiered on FX in 2018 titled Mr Inbetween. Ryan reprised his role, and served as writer and producer on the show. Nash Edgerton also served as producer and directed every episode. The show ran for 3 seasons and drew critical acclaim. 
- ^ Hill, Simon. "The Magician Review". Celluloid Dreams. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- ^ Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office
- ^ "The Magician". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- ^ "Production underway on local FX drama, Mr Inbetween. | TV Tonight".