The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot
|The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Robert D. Krzykowski|
|Produced by||Robert D. Krzykowski|
|Written by||Robert D. Krzykowski|
|Music by||Joe Kraemer|
|Edited by||Zach Passero|
Epic Pictures Releasing
Epic Pictures Group
|Distributed by||Eagle Films|
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot is a 2018 American adventure drama film, written, co-produced and directed by Robert D. Krzykowski, and starring Sam Elliott, Aidan Turner and Caitlin FitzGerald.
The film debuted at the Fantasia Film Festival in Montreal, Canada,  where it premiered on July 20, 2018. The US Premiere took place at the Plaza Classic Film Festival in El Paso, Texas on August 10, 2018. In the UK, it played at FrightFest London on August 26, 2018, in Spain at the Sitges Film Festival and in Finland at the Night Visions Film Festival.
Set in 1987, the story is about Calvin Barr (Sam Elliott), an old man living his last days in his quiet hometown with his dog. Barr reminiscences about his past with flashbacks showing that during World War II, he served as a special ops soldier on a mission to assassinate Adolf Hitler which he pulls off successfully, however the operation was classified and never revealed to the public. As Barr goes about his day-to-day routine, which includes visiting his brother Ed (Larry Miller) in his barbershop, he fights off a gang of thugs who try to steal his car and is followed around by a pair of mysterious men in a government car. The men eventually approach him identifying themselves as joint American and Canadian government agents. They explain that all life on Earth may be coming to an end as a strange virus has been killing people and animals around the world and the original source of the virus is Bigfoot itself. Knowing Barr is a highly trained tracker and survivalist, and one of the few people on Earth immune to the virus, the agents try to recruit him to go into the wilderness and kill the Bigfoot in hopes it will end the epidemic.
Barr hunts the Bigfoot, wounding him. After much tracking, he finds the Bigfoot dying. Barr chooses to burn the body rather than turn it over to the government, but the Bigfoot is still alive and then attacks Barr, maiming him. The two fight until Barr stabs the Bigfoot and ultimately shoots him to death. Barr lies back, seemingly dying from his wound.
The screen fades to Barr's funeral as his brother gives a beautiful eulogy. A little time passes and Ed goes fishing with Barr's dog. Barr appears and the two go fishing together.
Barr later digs up his casket to retrieve his box. But it is never revealed what is actually in the box.
- Sam Elliott as Calvin Barr
- Aidan Turner as Young Calvin Barr
- Caitlin FitzGerald as Maxine
- Sean Bridgers as Mr. Gardner
- Ron Livingston as Flag Pin
- Ellar Coltrane as "The Clerk"
- Larry Miller as Ed
- Rizwan Manji as Maple Leaf
- Mark Steger as the Bigfoot
- Aubrey Hale as Rufus
Filming took place from August to September 2017 in Western Massachusetts.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a ‘Certified Fresh’ approval rating of 76%, based on 90 reviews with an average rating of 6.54/10. The site's critics' consensus reads: "The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot just about lives up to the wild promise of its title, due in no small part to Sam Elliott's world-weary work in the title role." On aggregation website Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 51/100, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- N'Duka, Amanda (9 August 2017). "Ron Livingston, Larry Miller & Rizwan Manji Cast In 'The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- Foutch, Haleigh (22 June 2018). "Exclusive: Sam Elliot Is 'The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot' in First Poster". Collider. Complex Media. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot". Fantasia Film Festival. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "Actor Sam Elliott says El Paso feels 'like coming home' ahead of film premiere". El Paso Times. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- "The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot London Premiere 26 August 2018 – Aidan Turner News". Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- "THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT - Sitges Film Festival - Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya". sitgesfilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- "Night Visions Film Festival". Night Visions. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- Kenny, Glenn (8 February 2019). "REVIEW: THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT". rogerebert.com. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- India-West Staff Reporter (31 August 2017). "Rizwan Manji Lands Role in 'The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot'". India West. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- Official Twitter
- The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot on IMDb
- The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot on Letterboxd
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|