The Man Within (film)
|The Man Within|
British quad poster
|Directed by||Bernard Knowles|
|Produced by||Muriel Box|
|Written by||Sydney Box|
|Based on||the novel by Graham Greene|
|Music by||Clifton Parker|
|Edited by||Alfred Roome|
Production Film Service
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors (UK)|
|2 April 1947 (London)|
|Box office||£128,100 (by Dec 1949)|
The Man Within is a 1947 British, Technicolor, adventure, crime, drama film, directed by Bernard Knowles and starring Ronald Shiner as Cockney Harry, Michael Redgrave, Jean Kent, Joan Greenwood and Richard Attenborough. In the United States, it was released in a slightly shorter version, retitled The Smugglers. It was produced by Triton Films and Production Film Service. The film was also presented by J. Arthur Rank and the Rank Organisation. The film was adapted from the 1929 novel The Man Within by Graham Greene.
The story is told from the point of view of Seaman Andrews (Richard Attenborough), the ward of 19th-century smuggler chieftain, Carlyon (Michael Redgrave). Feeling persecuted by his stern disciplinarian guardian, Seaman Andrews jumps ship and turns Carlyon over to the customs officials. A deadly fight ensues, during which both Andrews and Carlyon escape and head their separate ways.
Upon befriending the stepson of a customs agent who was killed by Carlyon, Andrews agrees to testify against his onetime friend and protector in court. To bind the bargain, Lucy (Jean Kent), mistress of the Crown's Attorney, makes love to the impressionable, misguided Andrews. Finally realizing that the forces of justice are no more ethical than his fellow smugglers, Andrews refuses to testify against Carlyon, and is himself thrown into prison. However, a happy ending results from all this intrigue.
- Michael Redgrave - Richard Carlyon
- Jean Kent - Lucy
- Joan Greenwood - Elizabeth
- Richard Attenborough - Francis Andrews
- Francis L. Sullivan - Braddock
- Felix Aylmer - Priest
- Ronald Shiner - Cockney Harry
- Ernest Thesiger - Farne
- David Horne - Dr Stanton
- Ralph Truman - Prison Interrogator
- Allan Jeayes - Judge
- Basil Sydney - Sir Henry Merriman
- Danny Green - Hake
- George Merritt - Hilliard
- Lyn Evans - Warder
- Herbert Lomas - Farmer
- Cyril Chamberlain - Runner
- Charles Rolfe - Court Usher
- Maurice Denham - Smugglers
- Pete Murray
- David Stringer
- John Olson - Junior Counsel
- Torin Thatcher - Jailer
The film lost an estimated £6,500.
Greene later described the film as "terrible".
- Spicer, Andrew (5 September 2006). Sydney Box. Manchester University Press. ISBN 9780719059995 – via Google Books.
- "The Man Within (1947) - Bernard Knowles | Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie.
- GREENE CRITICIZES FILM ADAPTATIONS OF HIS BOOKS AP. New York Times, Late Edition (East Coast); New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]06 Sep 1984: C.17.