The Mark II Purple Singles
|The Mark II Purple Singles|
|Compilation album by|
|Recorded||1969 - 1972|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Deep Purple compilations chronology|
The Mark II Purple Singles is a compilation album by Deep Purple. The album was released in 1979. It claimed to be MkII not just because it was the second line-up of the band but also because it was the second Deep Purple singles album after Singles As & Bs. The tracks were recorded between 1969 and 1972. A version with purple vinyl is also available.
The original sleeve notes by Geoff Barton claimed that "Smoke on the Water" was a different recording to the one from Made in Japan. He wrote: "Blackmore chooses to play the solo straight, without the embellishments that, for me, marred the other officially available live version [on Made In Japan]." In fact it is the same recording, edited.
All songs written by Blackmore/Gillan/Glover/Lord/Paice.
- Side one
- "Smoke on the Water" - 5:12 (live version from Made in Japan, edited)
- "Black Night" - 4:56 (live version recorded in Japan 1972)
- "Child in Time" - 9:52 (live version from Made in Japan, edited)
- Side two
- "Woman from Tokyo" - 4:28 (A-side from Who Do We Think We Are, edited)
- "Never Before" - 3:30 (A-side from Machine Head, edited)
- "When a Blind Man Cries" - 3:29 (B-side from the Machine Head sessions)
- "Painted Horse" - 5:18 (outtake from the Who Do We Think We Are sessions)
- Ian Gillan – vocals, harmonica
- Ritchie Blackmore – guitar
- Jon Lord – organ, keyboards
- Roger Glover – bass
- Ian Paice – drums