The Martin Agency
|Headquarters||Richmond, Virginia, USA|
|Matt Williams, CEO; John Adams, Jr., Chairman; Joe Alexander, CCO; Beth Rilee-Kelley, COO; Janet White, CFO|
|Products||Advertising & Marketing|
Number of employees
|Parent||Interpublic Group of Companies|
The agency was founded as Martin & Woltz in Richmond, Virginia in 1965 by David N. Martin and George Woltz. Martin and Woltz divided the firm in 1975 and Martin renamed the company, The Martin Agency.
The Martin Agency was independently owned until 1986, when it was acquired by Scali, McCabe & Sloves Advertising of New York. Eight years later, Scali was acquired by The Interpublic Group of Companies and The Martin Agency became part of IPG. The company's president and CEO is John B. Adams, Jr and its President is King Alexander
Headquartered in Richmond, the agency also maintains offices in New York City and London.
The Martin Agency's clients include: Benjamin Moore & Co., Chips Ahoy!, Colonial Williamsburg, Discover Card, Experian, ExxonMobil, GEICO, Georgia-Pacific, Hanes, John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Kayak, Manpower, Midas, Moen, Optimum, Oreo, Penske, PING, Ritz Crackers, Sabra, Stolichnaya, TIAA-CREF, Timberland PRO, TracFone and Walmart.
In 2012, the agency reduced its staff by 38 following a decrease in client spending.
In 2016, the agency reduced its staff by 29, again citing a decline in client spending and the loss of the Wal-Mart account.
- Virginia is for Lovers
- Nickelodeon "Because We Can"
- GEICO Cavemen 
- The GEICO Gecko 
- GEICO: Dora the Explorer
- Jacqueline Doherty. " Barron's. June 25, 2011. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- LLovio, Louis (2012-10-03). "David N. Martin, the Godfather of Richmond advertising, dies at 82". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Scali, McCabe, Sloves” "Advertising Age". September 15, 2003. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- “Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. To Acquire Subsidiary of WPP Group, Ltd.” thefreelibrary.org. November 4, 1993. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- "Kayak Finds Its New Creative Partner in The Martin Agency". AdWeek. Retrieved 2016-02-23.
- "Martin Agency Cuts 6% of Staff", Kiran Aditham. Adweek. August 13, 2012. Retrieved 9 jan 2017
- "The Martin Agency lays off 29 employees", Richmond Times-Dispatch. September 7, 2016. Retrieved 9 jan 2017
- Rob Walker. "Pop-Culture Evolution" The New York Times. April 15, 2007. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Stuart Elliott. "Geico's Lizard Offers a New Message of Reassurance" The New York Times. February 18, 2009. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Liviu Marica. "GEICO: Dora the Explorer". Daily Commercials. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Eleftheria Parpis. "The Martin Agency: US Ad Agency of the Year 2009"] Adweek. January 25, 2010. Retrieved January 30 2012.