The Martyr Mantras
|The Martyr Mantras|
|Studio album by Jesus Loves You|
|Label||More Protein/Virgin Records|
|Jesus Loves You chronology|
The Martyr Mantras is the only studio album by Jesus Loves You and the fourth studio album by Boy George. It was credited to Jesus Loves You worldwide except in North America, where it was credited to Boy George upon its release there in 1991.
The Martyr Mantras contains many dance-orientated tracks, most of them with an electronic production. It is partly a collection of some of the songs that were released as one-off singles many months before ("No Clause 28" in 1988, "After the Love" in 1989, "Generations of Love" and "One On One" in 1990). The lead single was the Indian and house mash-up "Bow Down Mister" which reached the Top 30 in the UK Singles Chart.
George’s songwriting credits are also on another alias, as "Angela Dust".
In a contemporaneous review in Keyboard, Jim Aikin described the album as "blue-eyed soul for the '90s". He added that "[George] updates his British R&B roots very effectively with hip-hop beats and techno tricks". Aikin also noted that, whatever the mood of any particular track, "you feel that George is sincere".
The Martyr Mantras was not a strong seller, only reaching #60 on the UK Albums Chart. Although it did fare better in European countries, The Martyr Mantras failed to enter the US Billboard Top 200.
- "Generations of Love" (Oakenfold Mix) (Angela Dust, Caron Geary, Simon Rogers)
- "One on One" (Brydon L.P. Mix) (Dust, Mark Brydon)
- "Love's Gonna Let U Down" (Popcorn Mix) (Dust, Brydon)
- "After the Love" (Ten Glorious Years Mix) (Dust, Jon Moss)
- "I Specialise in Loneliness" (Dust, John Themis)
- "No Clause 28" (Pascal Gabriel Mix) (Boy George O'Dowd, Glenn Nightingale, Ian Maidman, Richie Stevens, Steve Fletcher)
- "Love Hurts" (L.P. Mix) (Dust, Bruce Forest, Richard Cottle)
- "Siempre Te Amare" (Dust)
- "Too Much Love" (Dust, Brydon)
- "Bow Down Mister" (Dust)
- "Generations of Love" (Seventies Mix) (CD only)
- Boy George – vocals
- Jonathan Quarmby, Richard Cottle – keyboards
- Colin Elliot – percussion
- Jagdeep Singh – tabla
- Simeon Lister – saxophone
- Beverley Skeete, Derek Green, The Govinda All Stars, Helen Terry, Jacqui McKoy, Jagdeep Singh, Juliet Roberts, London Community Gospel Choir, Sharon McKoy, Stefan Ashton Frank – vocals
- Simon Rogers – producer (track 1 & 11)
- Mark Brydon – producer (tracks 2 & 3)
- Angela Dust – producer (tracks 4 & 9)
- Jon Moss – producer (track 4)
- John Themis – producer (track 5)
- Bobby Z – producer (track 6)
- Jeremy Healy – producer (track 6)
- Bruce Forest – producer (tracks 7 & 10)
- Zeo – producer (track 8)