The Master Key System
|Author||Charles F. Haanel|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback)|
The Master Key System is a personal development book by Charles F. Haanel (1866-1949) that was originally published as a 24-week correspondence course in 1912, and then in book form in 1916. The ideas it describes and explains come mostly from New Thought philosophy. It was one of the main sources of inspiration for Rhonda Byrne's film and book The Secret (2006).
The Master Key System is a book which describes many New Thought beliefs such as the Law of attraction, creative visualization and man's unity with God, and teaches the importance of truth, harmonious thinking and the ability to concentrate. Each of the 24 chapters contains an introduction, followed by a sequentially numbered section which includes an exercise towards the end, followed by a section with questions and answers. At the very beginning of the book there is a Psychological Chart which readers are encouraged to complete. It is a self-evaluation of the reader's creative power, time efficiency, health, mental ability and capacity to concentrate. The book ends with a glossary and a general question and answers section. Every chapter has a quotation at the end of the numbered section. These come from eminent people such as Jonathan Edwards, Lilian Whiting and Amos Bronson Alcott.
Every chapter ends with an exercise which the reader is encouraged to undertake every day for the following 4-7 days. Each is a meditation that requires the person to first sit comfortably in a chair. The sequence of exercises in each chapter is as follows:
- Sitting still
- Inhibiting all thought combined with previous exercise
- Releasing physical tension combined with previous exercises
- Letting go of all negative emotions combined with previous exercises
- Visualising a pleasant place
- Remembering details from a photo of someone
- Visualising positive facial expressions on the face of a friend
- Visualising everything that leads to the construction of a battleship
- Visualising a flower growing from seed
- Visualising certain geometric forms
- Concentrating on a quote from the Bible; Mark 11:24
- Contemplating your unity with Omnipotence
- Contemplating being part of the Whole
- Focusing on harmony
- Contemplating the fact that knowledge needs to be applied to be useful
- Contemplating that happiness and harmony are states of consciousness
- Focusing on the object of your desire
- Focusing on your power to create – create a logical basis for your faith
- Total concentration on what you want
- Focusing on "In Him we live and move and have our being"
- Focusing on truth
- Concentration on a Tennyson quote: "Speak to Him, thou, for He hears, and spirit with spirit can meet, Closer is He than breathing, and nearer than hands and feet."
- Contemplating the fact that man is a spirit with a body
- Realising that this is a wonderful world
Along with The Science of Getting Rich, by Wallace D. Wattles, The Master Key System inspired much of the content of Rhonda Byrne's film The Secret (2006) which was later followed by a book of the same name.
It is claimed that Charles Haanel received a letter in 1919 from Napoleon Hill, who later went on to write one of the best selling books of all time, Think and Grow Rich, saying that his own success was due to the principles laid down in The Master Key System.
There are many editions of the book. Modern editions mostly do not include the 3 part introduction at the beginning of the book, the psychological chart, the general question and answers section at the very end of the book, and the glossary. Some modern editions also include 4 additional chapters which come from chapters 11-14 of another book Haanel wrote called A book about you. The first British Empire edition, printed in 1933 by The Master Key Publishing Company, is called The Master Key with no mention of ´system´.
- Abundance and Prosperity - The Master Key System Decoded, by Prof. C. W. Haanel Mentz ISBN 1-4257-1035-2 
- The Electronic Master Key System in 24 Parts - Re-Edited, by Anthony R. Michalski.
- Master Key Arcana, by Anthony R. Michalski.
- Master Key System (28 Part Complete Deluxe Edition) - Ishtar Publishing (July 2007) ISBN 978-0-9780535-8-1
- The Master Key System 2012 Centenary Edition, edited, illustrated and annotated by Helmar Rudolph (January 2011) ISBN 978-1-4563360-4-2.
- Tapping the Source (2010), by William Gladstone, Richard Greninger, John Selby and Jack Canfield,
- The Master Key System Summarized & the Science of Getting Rich Decoded, by George Mentz.
- Masters of the Secrets Expanded, by Wallace Wattles, Charles Haanel, Thomas Troward, C. Wattles Haanel Mentz.
Other books by Haanel
Note, Master Key System and Mental Chemistry, being published prior to 1923, are considered to be in public domain, but several of his other books, being currently in distribution, are still covered by copyright law timeframe.
- Mental Chemistry
- The New Psychology
- A book about You
- The Amazing Secrets of the Yogi
- Charles F. Haanel, Self-Improvement-eBooks.com
- Master Key System, Master Key System Mp3 Audiobooki
- Master Key System Forum, maintained by Helmar Rudolph
- Master Key System Videos by Helmar Rudolph (in English and German)
- Master Key System Reviews By Jerry Bronner
- "Charles F. Haanel (1866 – 1949)". Kallisti publishing. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "Where´d He Get That, by Margo Ruark, page 210". Google books. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "A Brief History of Visualization Techniques". easyvisualizationtechniques.com. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "C.F Haanel, retired author buried.". Unknown newspaper, 12 January 1949. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Master Key Arcana, by Anthony R. Michalsk. ISBN 978-0967851440.". Google books. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- ""The Master Key System"" (PDF). New Thought Library. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "Interview: Kevin Gates Talks ‘By Any Mean,’ Jail Time and Slanging The D’". Vibe magazine, 8 April 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "The History of The Master Key System and Its Influence on Future Generations". haanel.com. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "$150 million battle to keep The Secret". The Sydney Morning Herald, 18 May 2008. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "The Master Key System". Waterstones. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "The Secret Behind Many Law of Attraction Experts – The Master Key System". Elevatedexistence.com. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "‘The Secret’ author Rhonda Byrne’s Montecito estate to hit market for $23.5 million". Realty Today. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- The Secret of The Secret: Unlocking the Mysteries of the Runaway Bestseller, page 91 (2007) Kelly, Karen, Macmillan,ISBN 0-312-37790-8
- "Napoleon Hill letter". haanel.com. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- The Secret of The Secret: Unlocking the Mysteries of the Runaway Bestseller, page 186 (2007) Kelly, Karen, Macmillan,ISBN 0-312-37790-8
- The Master Key (First British Empire Edition ed.). The Master Key Publishing Company. 1933.
- "How to Master Abundance And Prosperity". Google books. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "The Electronic Master Key System". Google books. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Master Key Arcana". Google books. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "The Master Key System Centenary Edition" (PDF). masterkeysystem.tv. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Tapping the Source: Using The Master Key System for Abundance and Happiness". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "The Master Key System Summarized & the Science of Getting Rich Decoded". Google books. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Masters of the Secrets Expanded -". Google Books. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "www.charleshaanel.com". www.charleshaanel.com. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- "Cornell University notes on copyright laws and public domain time frame". Copyright.cornell.edu. Retrieved 2013-01-26.