The Masterpiece (Hong Kong)
The Masterpiece, 2013
|Location||Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong|
|Antenna spire||261 m (856 ft)|
|Roof||241.7 m (793 ft)|
The Masterpiece (Chinese: 名鑄; Cantonese Yale: Mìhng jyu) is a 64-floor, 261 metre (856 ft) tall skyscraper in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. It houses the six-storey K11 shopping centre in the lower levels and basement. The 381-room Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, located from Level 3 to 24, opened on October 2, 2009. 345 residential flats occupy the 27th to 67th floors.
The project was jointly developed by New World Development and the Urban Renewal Authority (URA). The building, along with other URA projects, has been criticized for its destruction of built heritage, and for damaging the existing community by contributing to gentrification which pushes out the less well-off.
The hotel's predecessor was located two blocks west, on Nathan Road. Opened in 1964 as The President Hotel, it was renamed the Hong Kong Hyatt Hotel on November 1, 1969, the first Hyatt Hotel established outside of the United States. Later renamed the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, the hotel closed on January 1, 2006, and was demolished. The site of the hotel is now occupied by iSQUARE, a 31-storey shopping mall.
A total of 655 square metres (7,050 sq ft) is dedicated to meeting space, including a 4,111 square feet (381.9 m2) ballroom and eight meeting rooms of different sizes. All meeting facilities are equipped with audio-visual technology and wireless internet connectivity.
The hotel also houses four restaurants:
- Hugo's (established in the original location in 1969)
- The Chinese Restaurant
- Chin Chin Bar (established in the original location in 1964)
K11 is a 31,600 square metres (340,000 sq ft), six-storey shopping centre in the lower levels of the complex developed by New World Development and completed in December 2009. It is marketed as an "art mall" as it incorporates various art displays.
- "Masterpiece price for flat" Archived 2012-10-16 at the Wayback Machine., The Standard, September 15, 2009
- The Masterpiece - Apartments for lease
- Urban Renewal Authority: Hanoi Road Project (The Masterpiece) Archived 2010-03-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Batten, John. "Destroying Memory Lane" (PDF). The Correspondent. Foreign Correspondents Club. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Ho, Edmond C.M. (2012). "Renewing the Urban Regeneration Approach in Hong Kong" (PDF). Discovery – SS Student E-Journal. 1: 110–139. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "REVIVAL OF THE FITTEST: THE LEGENDARY HYATT REGENCY HONG KONG OPENS IN THE HEART OF TSIM SHA TSUI" (Press release). Hyatt. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Hyatt Regency Hong Kong is back", New World Development Company Limited press release, 29 November 2007 (archive)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Masterpiece, Hong Kong.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui.|