The Mayflies USA
|The Mayflies USA|
|Origin||Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States|
|Labels||Yep Roc Records|
The Mayflies USA are a Chapel Hill, North Carolina-based power pop rock band signed to Yep Roc Records. The band is a classic example of power pop, as their songs featured catchy melodies, vocal harmonies, and prominent guitar riffs. Their style was influenced by older bands such as The Beatles, Big Star, and also more contemporary groups like Teenage Fanclub and Velvet Crush.
The band released their debut EP in 1997, and their next three albums were released by Yep Roc. North Carolina producer Chris Stamey (formerly of The dB's, and credited by the band as the "fifth" Mayfly) produced their first two records for Yep Roc, Summertown and The Pity List.
Spin Magazine called Summertown "r-o-c-k like they don't make anymore, in love with early Eagles and Bob Welch, in bed with Wilco but dreaming of the Replacements and Pure Prairie League and proud of it."
Keith Cleversley, who produced The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev, worked on their 2002 record Walking in a Straight Line. The band's albums garnered favorable reviews in publications such as The Washington Post, Spin, The Village Voice, Allmusic and The Boston Phoenix;. In 2007 and 2009, the band reunited for some shows.
On May 16, 2012 Billboard Magazine announced that the band will reunite in October 2012 as part of Yep Roc Records' 15 Year Anniversary celebration.
On August 21, 2012, Yep Roc reissued Summertown, this time on vinyl.
|1997||The Mayflies USA||Clancy|
|2000||The Pity List||Yep Roc|
|2002||Walking in a Straight Line||Yep Roc|
- "Yep Roc Records > Artist Info". Yep Roc Records. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- Unterberger, Richie. "The Mayflies USA > Overview". allmusic. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- Perry, Jonathan (October 31, 2002). "Music The Mayflies USA". Boston Phoenix. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- Bumgardner, Ed (May 5, 2000). "Pop Flie ; from `outcasts' to the Latest Rage, Mayflies Stay Focused on the Music". Winston - Salem Journal. Media General, Inc.
- Clover, Joshua. "The Shredder". Spin - The Greatest Albums of the '90s. SPIN Media LLC. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- Sendra, Tim. "Walking in a Straight Line > Overview )))". allmusic. Retrieved 2008-12-25.
- Parker, Chris. "Chapel Hill's the dB's play Carrboro". Indyweek.com. Independent Weekly. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Blast From The Past: Mayflies USA And The Connells". Music.MyNC. May 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Greenwald, David. "Yep Roc Celebrates 15 Years With Concerts, Rarities". Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Summer Albums to Remember: 'Summertown' by the Mayflies USA". Books and Vinyl. Retrieved 6 April 2017.