This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Promotional poster for The Meatrix
|Directed by||Louis Fox|
|Produced by||Free Range Graphics
|Written by||Louis Fox
|Music by||Louis Fox|
|November 3, 2003|
The Meatrix is a short flash animation critical of factory farming and industrial agricultural practices. It has been translated into more than 30 languages and watched by more than 30 million people. It was made by the green messaging firm Free Range Studios in 2003 as a commissioned project for GRACE Communications Foundation, and two sequels were released in 2006, titled The Meatrix II: Revolting, and The Meatrix II ½.
In a dark satire of The Matrix, Leo, a pig on a seemingly bucolic family farm, is approached by Moopheus, an anthropomorphic bull. Moopheus shows Leo that the farm he has known is an illusion, and that he is really trapped in a horrific factory farm. Leo and Moopheus then work to break out of the Meatrix and help others do the same, with some help from a third character, Chickity. The animated short aims to encourage consumers to purchase organic food products and free-range meats.
The Meatrix has won a number of awards, including a 2005 Webby and the Annecy 2004 Netsurfers Award for Short Films. Free Range Studios claims that over 15 million people have viewed The Meatrix, and it has been translated, either dubbed or subtitled, into a total of 39 languages besides English. The Meatrix and its two sequels can be found as bonus material on the DVD for Fast Food Nation.
- "About The Meatrix". The Meatrix. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- "Media That Matters Film Festival: Films". Mediathatmattersfest.org. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Fog, Klaus; Budtz, Christian; Yakaboylu, Baris (2005). Storytelling: Branding In Practice. Springer. p. 167. ISBN 978-3-540-23501-9.
- "Watch The Meatrix : Planet Green". Planetgreen.discovery.com. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "Film Festivals and Awards". The Meatrix. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "News". The Meatrix. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "Ecology TV | The Meatrix". Ecology.com. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- "International". The Meatrix. Retrieved 2009-07-17.