Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lorene Scafaria|
|Produced by||Joy Gorman Wettels|
|Written by||Lorene Scafaria|
|Music by||Jonathan Sadoff|
|Edited by||Kayla M. Emter|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
|Box office||$5.4 million|
The Meddler is a 2015 American comedy-drama film directed and written by Lorene Scafaria. The film stars Susan Sarandon, Rose Byrne and J. K. Simmons. Principal photography began on March 30, 2015 in Los Angeles. It was screened in the Special Presentations section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was released on April 22, 2016, by Sony Pictures Classics.
An aging widow, Marnie (Susan Sarandon) is lonely and heartbroken. When her daughter, Lori (Rose Byrne), moves to Los Angeles, she follows along with the hope of restarting her life. She begins interfering with Lori's life, but soon she meets other people who are more in need of her assistance, and she starts helping them.
- Susan Sarandon as Marnie Minervini
- Rose Byrne as Lori Minervini
- J. K. Simmons as Randall Zipper
- Lucy Punch as Emily
- Jason Ritter as Jacob
- Randall Park as Officer Lee
- Casey Wilson as Trish
- Michael McKean as Mark
- Billy Magnussen as Ben
- Cecily Strong as Jillian
- Sarah Baker as Elanie
- Rebecca Drysdale as Dani
- Jerrod Carmichael as Freddy
- Laura San Giacomo as TV Mom
- Shiri Appleby as TV Daughter
- Amy Landecker as Diane
On August 25, 2015, Sony Pictures Classics acquired the North American rights to the film. The film had its world premiere at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival on September 14, 2015  and also screened at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival. The film was released on April 22, 2016 and has earned $4.25 million at the domestic box office as of August 2016.
The Meddler received positive reviews from critics. The film holds an 85% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 138 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "The Meddler transcends its cutesy title and familiar premise with a heartfelt look at family dynamics that's honored by a marvelous performance from Susan Sarandon." On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 68 out of 100, based on 32 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Peter Debruge of Variety gave the film a positive review writing : "While not a direct apology for her abominable directorial debut, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, writer-director Lorene Scafaria’s sophomore feature returns to what works for her, as she draws upon personal experience to deliver a heartfelt dramedy that audiences are sure to appreciate. Bound to be among Sony Classics’ top 2016 performers, The Meddler serves as a lovely valentine not just to Scafaria’s mom, Gail, but to mothers everywhere — including the luminous Susan Sarandon in a role that seems to come naturally." Kevin Jaugernauth of Indiewire.com gave the film a B- writing : "But it’s the movie as it stands that must be assessed, and “The Meddler” is earnest and honest, perhaps much like Marnie. The character is eager to help and be involved, and the film carries much of that same spirit: it will try to please you with one thing, but if that doesn’t work, it has another way to make you smile just around the corner. And just like Marnie, it’s hard to resist."
- "The Meddler (2016)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "The Meddler star Susan Sarandon on mothering, money and Bernie Sanders". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- "The Meddler (2016)". The-Numbers. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- "Sandra Bullock's 'Our Brand Is Crisis,' Robert Redford's 'Truth' to Premiere at Toronto". Variety. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 6, 2015). "Lorene Scafaria Helms 'The Meddler' With Susan Sarandon, Rose Byrne, JK Simmons". deadline.com. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- "On the Set for 3/30/15: Brad Pitt, Christian Bale & Ryan Gosling Start on 'The Big Short', Julianne Moore Wraps 'Maggie's Plan' & More". ssninsider.com. March 30, 2015. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (August 25, 2015). "TIFF: 'The Meddler' Nabbed by Sony Pictures Classics for North America". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- "The Meddler". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Matthew Jacobs (January 5, 2016). "22 Promising Movies To Shield You From The Woes Of Winter". The Huffington Post. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "The Meddler". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "The Meddler (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "The Meddler Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Debruge, Peter (September 14, 2015). "Toronto Film Review: 'The Meddler'". Variety. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Jaugernauth, Kevin (April 19, 2016). "Review: Hard To Resist Comedy 'The Meddler' Starring Rose Byrne, Susan Sarandon, And J.K. Simmons". Indiewire.com. Retrieved April 21, 2016.
- Lawson, Richard (December 7, 2016). "The 10 Best Movies of 2016". Vanity Fair. Retrieved December 7, 2016.