The Meek is a fantasy webcomic written and illustrated by Der-Shing Helmer since 2008. The Meek takes place in a fantasy universe and focuses on the protagonist Angora, a young girl with a magical ability to control plants, as she is trying to reach a place she refers to as "the center". However, The Meek follows multiple narratives with several different characters from across the world. Each chapter exclusively follows one of these separate narratives.
Der-Shing Helmer is a trained biologist and educator, writing The Meek in her spare time. In a 2009 interview, Helmer stated she draws inspiration from biology when designing the world of The Meek. Helmer created the first draft of her webcomic entirely with a mechanical pencil and marker, but quickly switched to Photoshop CS2 for the final version. She uses a Wacom Intuos tablet to create the comic, and her creation process has become more streamlined since she built a template for her pages.
The Meek follows multiple narratives with several different characters from across the world. Each chapter exclusively follows one of these separate narratives. Some of these characters are:
- Angora – The protagonist, a naive teenage girl who lives in a jungle.
- Luca – An emperor and leader of a group of people called the Pasori.
- Pinter – A wandering, alcoholic cartographer who meets Angora and, out of concern for her safety, travels with her.
The plot of The Meek concerns a war that is brewing between several of the world's ethnic clans, notably the Carissi and the Pasori people.
- Helmer, Der-Shing (2008-12-27). "Chapter 1: Lost and Found". The Meek.
- El Santo (2009-05-11). "The Webcomic Overlook #99: The Meek". Comix Talk. Archived from the original on 2010-02-04.
- Helmer, Der-Shing. "About Me". Shingworks.com.
- Helmer, Der-Shing. "FAQ". The meek.
- "Web Comics Questionnaire". IN Magazine.[dead link]
- Ahačič, Matic (2009-11-17). "Interview: Der-shing Helmer, The Meek". Reflektor.si.