The Men (film)
|Directed by||Fred Zinnemann|
|Produced by||Stanley Kramer|
|Written by||Carl Foreman|
|Music by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Cinematography||Robert De Grasse|
|Edited by||Harry W. Gerstad|
Stanley Kramer Productions
|Distributed by||United Artists|
The Men is a 1950 American drama film directed by Fred Zinnemann, written by Carl Foreman, and starring Marlon Brando, Teresa Wright and Everett Sloane. Despite the film's commercial failure, it marked Brando’s film debut.
A World War II lieutenant is seriously injured in combat, and faces struggles as he attempts to re-enter society. Birmingham General Army Hospital in Van Nuys, California was used as the recover Hospital. Marlon Brando "checked-in" himself to get the role down.
- Marlon Brando as Ken Wilocek
- Teresa Wright as Ellen
- Everett Sloane as Dr. Brock
- Jack Webb as Norm
- Richard Erdman as Leo
- Arthur Jurado as Angel
- Virginia Farmer as Nurse Robbins
- Dorothy Tree as Ellen's Mother
- Howard St. John as Ellen's Father
Upon release, The Men received generally positive reviews. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 70% critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 7/10. Bosley Crowther of The New York Times gave the film a positive review and wrote: "Stern in its intimations of the terrible consequences of war, this film is a haunting and affecting, as well as a rewarding, drama to have at this time." Variety also gave a favorable review, and noted: "Producer Stanley Kramer turns to the difficult cinematic subject of paraplegics, so expertly treated as to be sensitive, moving and yet, withal, entertaining and earthy-humored."
Carl Foreman was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay. The National Board of Review placed the film on its annual list of the ten best movies of the year. The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- militarymuseum.org, Birmingham General Hospital
- Crowther, Bosley (July 21, 1950). "Movie Review: The Men". The New York Times. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Variety Staff (December 31, 1949). "Review: 'The Men'". Variety. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- "AFI's 100 Years...100 Cheers Nominees" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-08-14.