The Metatemporal Detective
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Cover artist||John Picacio|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
|LC Class||PR6063.O59 M47 2007|
The stories chart the adventures of the Holmesian detective Sir Seaton Begg, his trusty sidekick Dr. Taffy Sinclair and his complex relationship with his cousin, nemesis, and occasional ally, Monsieur Zenith. The stories are set in an eclectic range of times and places and were written over the course of Moorcock's long career. The book features characters from the Moorcock 'multiverse' including the ubiquitous Una Persson. Begg owes much to the character of Sexton Blake, the eponymous magazine on which Moorcock began his literary career in his mid teens. Publishers Weekly termed the stories rather too 'broad' in their parody of established detective tropes .
- "The Affair of the Seven Virgins"
- "Crimson Eyes"
- "The Ghost Warriors"
- "The Girl Who Killed Sylvia Blade"
- "The Case of the Nazi Canary"
- "Sir Milk-and-Blood"
- "The Mystery of the Texas Twister"
- "London Flesh"
- "The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius"
- "The Affair of Le Bassin des Hivers"
- "The Flaneur des Arcades de l'Opera"