The Miami Hurricane
|Owner(s)||University of Miami|
|Headquarters||Student Activities Center
Student Media Suite 200
1330 Miller Drive
Coral Gables, Florida 33146
The Miami Hurricane, founded in 1929, is the official student newspaper at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida, in the United States. It is published weekly by a staff of mostly undergraduate students. It has won many awards during its history and is an Associated Collegiate Press "Hall of Fame" newspaper.
It has a circulation of 10,000, consisting predominantly of University of Miami students, staff and faculty. The newspaper is supported financially by local advertising and university subsidies. It is distributed free of charge on the University of Miami campus and at several nearby off-campus locations.
The first campus publication, The University News, was published in October 1927. After financial trouble, the paper ceased publication before the end of the year. Many of those original staff members regrouped in 1929 to try again, forming The Miami Hurricane.
- Judy Battista, sports writer for The New York Times
- Scott Braun, MLB Network studio host and reporter
- Jason Haikara, Co-President at Filmaka; Co-Chair of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Website Committee; former Senior Vice President of Marketing at Fox Broadcasting Company
- Michelle Kaufman, sports writer for The Miami Herald
- Dan Le Batard, sports writer for ESPN The Magazine and The Miami Herald; sports broadcaster for The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz and Highly Questionable
- Darwin Porter, travel journalist for The Frommer Guides; celebrity biographer