The Mind Museum
The museum in 2012
|Established||March 16, 2012|
|Location||Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Collection size||250+ exhibits|
|Director||Manny Blas II|
|Curator||Maria Isabel Garcia|
|Public transit access|| Net One
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Lor Calma & Partners|
The Mind Museum is a science museum in Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines. It is located on a 1.2 hectares (3.0 acres) lot in the J. Y. Campos Park in Bonifacio Global City, a business district of the city.
The museum opened in March 16, 2012, although a pre-launch reception was held a year earlier on December 15 where Vice President Jejomar Binay delivered a speech in behalf of President Benigno Aquino III. The facility was developed by the Bonifacio Arts Foundation Inc (BAFI).
The museum was designed by architect Ed Calma, from Lor Calma & Partners. The design of the structure was inspired from cellular structure and growth and had a solar reflective exterior, natural wind ventilation and rainwater flow drainage.
As of 2012, the museum has five main galleries occupying a 4,900 square metres (53,000 sq ft) exhibit area and spanning 2 floors. The galleries each had its own theme namely, atom, life, earth, universe and technology which are linked by features called "Nature’s Webways". The atom, life, earth, univers galleries are located on the first floor while the technology gallery are found in the first floor of the two story museum.
With assistance from a firm based in the United States, which did the master plan of the museum, Filipino designers, scientists and fabricators did 90 percent of the museum's exhibits. The designers included designers and faculty from the College of Fine Arts of the University of the Philippines and the University of Santo Tomas.
At the 2014 THEA Awards held in April 5, at the Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, California in the United States, the museum was awarded with the THEA Award for Outstanding Achievement for the Science Museum category for the design and execution of its exhibits.The distinction is the first for a Philippine establishment and for a science museum in Asia at the THEA Awards.
- St.Michael, Rodney (19 December 2012). Sync My World: The Middle Man & the Middle Way SK SK. Rodney St.Michael. p. 182. ISBN 978-1-300-40919-9.
- Santiago, Rodolfo (15 April 2012). "An open mind". Rappler. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Lapeña, Carmela (5 March 2012). "See, hear, feel and taste science at The Mind Museum". GMA News. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Thea Awards 2014 - THEA Award for Outstanding Achievement - Science Museum". Themed Entertainment Association. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "The Mind Museum bags int'l award for exhibit design and execution". INQUIRER.net. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2015.