The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society
|Type||Nonprofit Individual Membership Organization|
|Focus||Extraction, processing, and application of materials |
|Origins||Member society of AIME|
|James J. Robinson (Executive Director)|
The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS) is a professional organization for materials scientists and engineers that encompasses the entire range of materials and engineering, from minerals processing and primary metals production to basic research and the advanced applications of materials. While TMS is headquartered in the United States, its scope is international in both its membership and activities
The society provides forums for the exchange of information; encourages technology transfer; promotes the education and development of current and future professionals; represents the profession in the accreditation of educational programs and in the registration of professional engineers (a U.S.-grounded activity); encourages professionalism, ethical behavior, and concern for the environment; and stimulates a worldwide sense of unity in the profession.
Included among its approximately 13,000 professional and student members are metallurgical and materials engineers, scientists, researchers, educators, and administrators from more than 70 countries on six continents. Volunteer members serve at all levels of the society, and take a hands-on approach to shaping the policy, programming, and publications of the society. TMS is a volunteer and bottom up driven society. The bottom up philosophy gives members a sense of accomplishment when they give back to the profession they belong to.
The society comprises five technical divisions to program conferences, develop content for publications, and perform other activities:
- Functional Materials Division
- Extraction & Processing Division
- Light Metals Division
- Materials Processing & Manufacturing Division
- Structural Materials Division
TMS is a major publisher in the materials community. Each year the society publishes numerous proceedings volumes containing papers presented at society-sponsored meetings. The best known of these publications are the annual Light Metals and EPD Congress volumes.
TMS-published periodicals include
- JOM, which is a monthly journal devoted to exploring the many aspects of materials science and engineering.
- Journal of Electronic Materials, which prints peer-reviewed technical articles each month on advances in electronics materials.
- Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, which comprises three peer-reviewed archival journals. Volume A, published monthly, covers physical metallurgy and materials science; Volume B, published bimonthly, covers extraction and processing; Volume E, published quarterly beginning in 2014, covers materials for energy systems.
- "2015 Annual Report" (PDF). The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society. 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Metallurgical and Materials Transactions Home Page". The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society. 2013. Retrieved September 6, 2013.