The Minster School, York
|The Minster School|
|Type||Independent preparatory day school|
Choral foundation school
|Religious affiliation(s)||Church of England|
|Established||1903, but traces its origins back to 627|
|Founder||Paulinus of York|
|Department for Education URN||121731 Tables|
|Head teacher||Acting head - Mlle Sophie Schoukroun |
|Age||3 to 13|
The Minster School, York is an independent preparatory school for children aged 3–13 in York, England. It was founded to educate choristers at York Minster and continues to do so, although no longer exclusively.
The school traces its origins to a "song school" founded in 627 by Paulinus of York, the first Archbishop of York, however the current school was re-founded in 1903. The Minster School has a strong focus on music and, of the 180 pupils, 40 are choristers at York Minster.
Suspension of Staff in 2018
In May 2018, the school attracted national press attention when the headmaster and two other senior members of staff were suspended after three unsecured air rifles were found on school premises. The Dean of York faced protests by parents supportive of the staff and angry at the manner of the suspension.
- Roden, John (2005). The Minster School, York: A Centenary History 1903-2004. York: Sacram Publishing. p. 1. ISBN 0-9535775-1-1.
- "The Minster School: Standard Inspection" (PDF). Independent Schools Inspectorate. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "About Us - Academic Staff". The Minster School. The Minster School. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "The Minster School - GOV.UK - Find and compare schools in England". Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- Prest, Victoria (12 January 2016). "Minster School plans expansion into neighbouring building". The Press. York. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "York Minster recruiting boy choristers". Minster FM. York. 30 May 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "History". The Minster School. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Historic England (14 June 1954). "Minster Song School (Part), York (1257229)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Historic England (14 June 1954). "Minster Song School (Part), York (1257259)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Historic England (14 June 1954). "Minster Song School (Part), York (1257261)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Liptrot, Kate (27 August 2016). "York and Jenna Coleman star in ITV's Victoria". The Press. York. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Ward, Victoria (29 May 2018). "Dean of York faces revolt as three senior teachers are suspended from private school over 'unsecured' air rifles". The Daily Telegraph. York. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "Parents stage protest demanding the reinstatement of York school head teacher". York Mix. York. 8 July 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "York Minster School air rifles: Parents support teachers". 30 May 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- Official website
- History of York Minster School
- Yorkshire Film Archive – Stillington, York, and Easingwold (1936–1942)
- Profile on the ISC website
- ISI Inspection Reports
|This Yorkshire school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|