The Misanthropic Bitch
|The Misanthropic Bitch|
|Subject||Politics, current events|
The Misanthropic Bitch (TMB) was a personal blog maintained by a person who referred to herself by the same title. Although originally referred to as a zine, TMB represented one of the earliest online personal "blogs," having originally appeared in 1997. One of her most widely known quotes is "Nothing can make one a misogynist faster than being born a woman."
The blog is often cited by other websites as a means of supporting a number of often controversial and opposing viewpoints, including Childfree By Choice, and White Male Supremacy/Misogyny, among others, and has been cited by columnists including Stephen MacMillan Moser at the Austin Chronicle.
The concept of TMB was a 19-year-old journalism student (in 1997), and self-described misanthropic bitch, who comments on current events, society, politics, and various social issues. The vast majority of the writing was presented as being unapologetically controversial. The website was deliberately non-politically correct, with TMB expressing iconoclastic views geared specifically against what would be considered societal norms. In particular, the most recurring theme she steadfastly maintained was her antipathy toward children and parenthood. She stated that she does not like children or ever intend to have any, opined that society places an irrational emphasis on children and parenthood, criticized Megan's Law for de-emphasizing parental responsibility, and excoriated pregnant teenagers as "poster children for forced euthanasia" She also claimed to have almost undergone a tubal ligation, which her doctor refused to perform as she was "too young" (doctors generally will not perform this procedure on women under a certain age who have not yet had children).
TMB openly mocked much-beloved public figures after their deaths, such as John F. Kennedy Jr., Mother Teresa and Diana, Princess of Wales, whom she regarded as a "pathetic slut". She leveled criticism at Terri Schiavo's parents and their advocates for their treatment of Michael Schiavo, criticized various aspects of organized religion in general, and the Catholic Church in particular, criticized PETA, opined that the suing of tobacco companies ignores the fact that cigarettes were long-known to be unhealthy since the late 19th century, indicated that she is against affirmative action because it is little more than "hand-holding", and wrote articles satirical of homophobia and creationism.
TMB advocated legalized pornography, legalized abortion, removing the words "Under God" from the American Pledge of Allegiance, and the return of Elian Gonzalez to his father in Cuba in 2000.
Among the controversial topics covered on The Misanthropic Bitch:
- - Child porn TMB herself claimed to have been molested by her father during her childhood, though whether this was intended as humor is unclear.
- - Racism
- - AIDS
- - Elian Gonzalez
- - Terri Schiavo
- - 9/11
- - Domestic violence
- - Teenage pregnancy
TMB was evicted from shutdown.com (her original web host) by the administrator after a personal disagreement regarding the 9/11 attacks. The most productive period for the blog was from its inception until 2001, and updates noticeably declined in later years until the blog went offline in 2007. The domain was later sold.
- The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger on 17 December 1997. The short form, "blog," was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase "we blog" in the sidebar of his blog Peterme.com in April or May 1999. This was quickly adopted as both a noun and verb ("to blog," meaning "to edit one's weblog or to post to one's weblog"). "It's the links, stupid". The Economist. 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2006-07-21. Merholz, Peter (1999). "Peterme.com". The Internet Archive. Archived from the original on 1999-10-13. Retrieved 2006-07-21. Kottke, Jason (August 26, 2003). "kottke.org". Retrieved 2006-07-21.
- Bell, Katy. "Cyberb***h". San Francisco Metropolitan, April 17, 2000.
- Dunn, T. "Childfree Humor and Diversions!". www.childfreebychoice.com. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Endangered Species: The White Male". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "cult of the child - Everything2.com". www.everything2.com. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Backwash - Content - BtchGoddess on the Edge". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- Moser, Stephen MacMillan. "After A Fashion: Nutritious Gossip". The Austin Chronicle. June 6, 2003. 
- TMB Website: ffgg.html
- "Kill Ugly TV Interview with The Misanthropic Bitch". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- TMB Website: save_the_children.html
- Chonin, Nena. The Call of the Bitches, Renegade pundits sound off on the Web. Special for SFGate Chronicle. June 15, 2001.
- TMB Website: hot_pregnant_teens_here.html
- TMB Website: tubal.html
- TMB Website: kennedy.html
- TMB Website: toot.html
- TMB Website: theone.html
- TMB Website: patriotism.html
- TMB Website: myspeech.html
- TMB Website: father.html
- TMB Website: peta.html
- TMB Website: killer_cigs.html
- TMB Website: we_always_knew_they_were_stupid.html
- TMB Website: homosexual_agenda.html
- TMB Website: evolution.html
- TMB Website ban_porn.html
- TMB Website: slappy.html
- TMB Website: goback.html
- "Being Fucked-up is Trendy". 3 February 1999. Archived from the original on 3 February 1999. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- TMB Website: faq.html
- "Chicago Sun Times 9/11 forum". Retrieved 11 March 2018.