The Mississauga News
The March 4, 2010, front page of The Mississauga News
|Owner(s)||Metroland Media Group (Torstar)|
|Headquarters||3145 Wolfedale Road
The Mississauga News is a local tabloid newspaper in Mississauga, Ontario. The Mississauga News is part of the Peel and Southwest Division of Metroland Media Group, a subsidiary of Torstar. In addition to the biweekly print edition, the newspaper also operates a website including news, blogs, and multimedia content related to local news.
Upon Eve Adams' election as an MP in Stephen Harper's Conservative government, in the 2011 federal election, a seat in the City of Mississauga council was made available. "In the interest of ensuring fair and unbiased coverage for all candidates running in the Sept. 19 Ward 5 by-election," all stories about the vote and candidates were defaulted to not allow comments. One reader replied that, since the retirement of former Editorial Director Judy Imerson, editorials were perpetually biased to conservatives "at all levels of government."[undue weight? ]
- Ron Lenyk (1978-2008)
- Ken Nugent (2009-2012)
- Dana Robbins (2013–present)
Lenyk joined the Mississauga News in 1970 as a sports writer and a year later became the Mississauga News editor. In 1977, Lenyk was appointed publisher of The Brampton Guardian and the Mississauga News in 1978. He was named South Peel regional publisher and vice-president of Metroland Media Group Ltd. in 2004 and in 2008 the Ontario Press Council elected Lenyk as one of its four new directors to represent the newspaper industry.
Ken Nugent announced that he is retiring in January, wrapping up a 40-year career in the community newspaper business. The decision caps a successful career that began when Nugent was hired by The News to sell advertising in 1973. Nugent will retire from his post as vice-president and publisher of the Metroland’s flagship Peel and Southwestern divisions, including The News and The Brampton Guardian, and presiding over 21 other community newspapers.
Previously the publisher of The Hamilton Spectator, Dana Robbins left the post to take on the new role of the vice-president/regional publisher of Metroland’s Peel and Southwestern Ontario region as of January 3, 2013. This includes such papers as the Mississauga News, The Brampton Guardian, Orangeville Banner, Fergus Elora News Express and Wingham Advance Times.
- "Mississauga News Circulation Statement". BPA Worldwide. December 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "The Mississauga News". Metroland Media. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Mississauga news | Metroland Media Group". mississauga.com. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Cutting off the dialogue". The Mississauga News. Mississauga ON. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Rogers, Nancy (21 July 2011). "Drop the bias". The Mississauga News. Mississauga ON. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "The Mississauga News Publisher elected to the Ontario Press Council". mississauga.com. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Publisher calls it quits after 40 years". mississauga.com. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Douglas, Pam. "Publisher calls it a day". mississauga.com. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Nolan, Daniel. "Spec publisher Dana Robbins leaving for new job". thespec.com. Retrieved 3 April 2013.