The Mob Doctor
|The Mob Doctor|
|Created by||Josh Berman|
|Based on||Il Dottore: The Double Life of a Mafia Doctor|
by Ron Felber
Jaime Lee Kirchner
Jesse Lee Soffer
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Josh Berman|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sony Pictures Television|
Rooney McP Productions
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original release||September 17, 2012– January 7, 2013|
The Mob Doctor is an American television drama that aired on Fox from September 17, 2012 to January 7, 2013 as a part of the 2012–13 network television season. The series was created by Josh Berman and Rob Wright and is based on the book Il Dottore: The Double Life of a Mafia Doctor by Ron Felber. Berman, Wright, Michael Dinner, and Carla Kettner serve as executive producers.
The series follows Grace Devlin, a surgical resident, who juggles her hospital duties with protecting her brother from the Mob. Grace works off her brother's debt by helping anyone they demand.
In production, a working title for the show was Dirty Medicine.
- Jordana Spiro as Grace Devlin; well-educated doctor surgical resident who took on her brother's debt to the mob.
- William Forsythe as Constantine Alexander; returned Chicago Outfit boss and Grace's father (Episode 13) / Protector.
- James Carpinello as Franco Leoni; Constantine's enforcer and Grace's ex-boyfriend. Undercover FBI agent working to bring down the Chicago mob.
- Zach Gilford as Brett Robinson; Grace's boyfriend to whom she has to lie at times to protect her secrets.
- Željko Ivanek as Stafford White, Chief of Surgical Department; supervises Grace, favors her as a promising surgeon.
- Floriana Lima as Rosa "Ro" Quintero; nurse at the hospital and friend of Grace.
- Jaime Lee Kirchner as Olivia Watson; rival doctor working in the same surgical unit residency as Grace.
- Wendy Makkena as Daniella Devlin, mother of Grace and Nate; She has a past history with Constantine.
- Jesse Lee Soffer as Nate Devlin, Grace's brother; Owed a debt to mob boss Paul Moretti but his sister took it on for him. Works in Constantine's crew after Moretti is overthrown.
- Michael Rapaport as Paul Moretti, former leader of the mob until Constantine takes over.
- David Pasquesi as Ian Fanagan, a senior colleague of Grace's, who Grace frequently disagrees with.
- Kevin J. O'Connor as Stavos Kazan, personal attorney to and consigliere of Constantine's mob family.
- Adam J. Harrington as Owen York, an FBI agent investigating Constantine.
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Jayana Baylor, a senior doctor at the hospital.
- Kevin Corrigan as Titus Amato, an acquaintance of Constantine and new business partner in the poker machine business.
- Terry Kinney as Donte Amato, brother of Titus, friend of Constantine, and knew Grace's father.
- Jennifer Beals as Celeste LaPree, a madame proxying for a mob boss in Constantine's underground circle.
- Mike Starr as Al Trapani, a member of Constantine's underground circle.
- Michael Madsen as Russell King, an associate of one of Constantine's former rivals, who attempted to take over Downtown Chicago, before being outmuscled by Constantine.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original U.S. air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Michael Dinner||Teleplay and Television Story by:|
Josh Berman & Rob Wright
|September 17, 2012||5.11|
|Grace Devlin is a surgeon who made a deal with Paul Moretti (Michael Rapaport) to save her brother. She agreed to pay off her brother's debt, work it off, or do whatever she was asked to do to save her brother's life, but she did not realize the deal could include murder until Moretti orders her to kill a man in witness protection who requires surgery. With Moretti angrily pursuing her for not killing the man, she flees to Constantine, an old-time paroled 'retired' mobster, who shoots Moretti. Constantine tells her that he was plotting to come out of retirement and take over Moretti's turf and that she needs to leave Chicago because she knows too much. If she stays he'll try to protect her, but her debt to Moretti transfers to him.|
|2||"Family Secrets"||Michael Dinner||Josh Berman & Rob Wright||September 24, 2012||3.85|
|Grace struggles with her double life, taking care of her family and working for the mob. Constantine sends Grace to treat Dante Amato (Terry Kinney), a former rival of Moretti's wanted by the CPD for murder, who is suffering from an undiagnosed life-threatening condition. A woman experiences heart-related mood swings just as she is about to get married. Grace tells Nate about her deal with Constantine, He later asks Constantine for a job.|
|3||"Protect and Serve"||Ken Olin||Carla Kettner||October 1, 2012||3.46|
|Grace is ordered by Constantine to treat the driver responsible for a hit-and-run accident that involved a family of four and killed the youngest child. Morretti, who Constantine believes did not survive his gunshot wound, is still alive, due to Franco moving him to the mountains. There Morretti plots to take back his turf from Constantine.|
|4||"Change of Heart"||Michael Dinner||Mick Betancourt||October 8, 2012||3.36|
|Traci Coolidge (Jurnee Smollett) is a woman who is pregnant with the child of a local alderman, David Ellis (Timothy Busfield). Traci is treated by Grace and later finds out that Traci made a deal with Constantine to give the child up for adoption in exchange for money. After Traci gives birth, surgery is necessary, causing Traci to be unable to have any more children, which affects Constantine's original deal to give the child to a Canadian couple. Moretti moves forward with his plans for getting rid of the informant who will get him convicted if he testifies.|
|5||"Legacy"||Thomas Carter||Cathryn Humphris||November 5, 2012||3.40|
|Constantine asks Grace to end the life of a convict who faked an illness, to give his heart to his estranged daughter who needs a transplant. Brett and Olivia treat two brothers who have similar diagnoses. Constantine asks Nate to go to different bar establishments to have electronic gambling machines installed.|
|6||"Complications"||Randy Zisk||Carla Kettner||November 12, 2012||3.01|
|Moretti kidnaps Grace to lure Constantine into a trap. A woman is hit by speedboat after swimming in a lake.|
|7||"Turf War"||Daniel Sackheim||Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing||November 19, 2012||3.08|
|Two innocent women are caught in the crossfire of a shootout between Constantine and Moretti's crews.|
|8||"Game Changers"||David Grossman||Erik Oleson||November 26, 2012||3.99|
|Constantine seeks to unify Chicago's underworld while Grace aids an old friend in helping her heroin-addicted daughter. Grace continues to struggle with her double life and Franco reveals to her his status as an undercover cop.|
|9||"Fluid Dynamics"||Ken Olin||Lance Gentile||December 3, 2012||3.26|
|Russell King (Michael Madsen), an associate of one of Constantine's former rivals, shows at the hospital wanting medical care from Grace. Stafford takes care of a patient, who is admitted to the hospital after a toy store accident that reminds him of his stepson.|
|10||"Confessions"||Peter Weller||Mick Betancourt & Cathryn Humphris||December 29, 2012||2.07|
|A priest is admitted to the hospital after being bitten by woman while performing an exorcism. Russell King tries to takeover Downtown Chicago from Constantine. Nate calls Grace to help with a runaway teen who witnessed a robbery of one of Constantine's businesses.|
|11||"Sibling Rivalry"||Adam Arkin||Erik Oleson||December 31, 2012||2.38|
|Constantine tries to find out who had a bomb delivered to him. Grace and Brett treat Brett's estranged brother who had a cycling accident.|
|12||"Resurrection"||Kate Woods||Zachary Lutsky||January 5, 2013||2.11|
|Constantine agrees to protect his estranged son from the Nogales cartel. Grace is asked to find out about Al Trapani's girlfriend's mysterious ailment.|
|13||"Life and Death"||Michael Watkins||Josh Berman & Rob Wright||January 7, 2013||3.27|
|Constantine and Daniella are admitted to the hospital after being shot in a drive-by shooting in front of the Devlin home. Agent York digs deeper concerning the Devlin family being connected to Constantine. Grace takes desperate measures to settle the score with the cartel Constantine has been feuding with.|
|Episode||Air Date||Timeslot (EST)||18-49 (Rating/Share)||Viewers (m)|
|1||"Pilot"||September 17, 2012||Mondays
|2||"Family Secrets"||September 24, 2012||1.3/3||3.85|
|3||"Protect and Serve"||October 1, 2012||1.0/2||3.46|
|4||"Change of Heart"||October 8, 2012||0.9/2||3.36|
|5||"Legacy"||November 5, 2012||1.0/2||3.40|
|6||"Complications"||November 12, 2012||0.8/2||3.01|
|7||"Turf War"||November 19, 2012||0.9/2||3.08|
|8||"Game Changers"||November 26, 2012||0.8/2||3.01|
|9||"Fluid Dynamics"||December 3, 2012||0.8/2||3.26|
|10||"Confessions"||December 29, 2012||Saturday 9:00 P.M.||0.5/2||2.07|
|11||"Sibling Rivalry"||December 31, 2012||Monday 9:00 P.M.||0.4/1||2.38|
|12||"Resurrection"||January 5, 2013||Saturday 9:00 P.M.||0.6/2||2.11|
|13||"Life and Death"||January 7, 2013||Monday 9:00 P.M.||0.9/2||3.27|
The show has been met with "mixed or average" reviews, with a collective score of 42/100 from Metacritic. Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times gave the show a neutral rating, observing that 'Despite the frantic and at times clunky initial execution, there are times when The Mob Doctor shows signs of transcending the typical doc-with-something-extra medical procedural'. Linda Stasi of the New York Post gave the show one and a half stars, saying, "They tried for the tried and true, hoping they'd get The Sopranos meets Grey's Anatomy while filling the hole House left in the schedule. And, like a camel, they ended up with an animal made by committee." David Wiegand of the San Francisco Chronicle gave the show a 0 rating, saying, "The two-taste-treats-in-one thing worked for Hostess Ding-Dongs, so maybe Fox figured it would work for this ding-dong of a dud for the masochists in the crowd".
A few critics, however, had favorable reviews. Glenn Garvin of the Miami Herald praised the concept of the show, saying, "Devlin's complex relationship with the gangsters is what elevates The Mob Doctor into something a cut or two above a Grey's Anatomy rip-off". Diane Werts of Newsday noted that "No, it's not exactly House. But it isn't like any other show, either, with its mad mix of moral dilemmas, medical crises, family ties, double-life-living and, y'know, rubouts 'n' stuff"
- In Canada, The Mob Doctor was broadcast on Sunday nights at 9:00pm on CTV, premiering on September 16, 2012.
- In Mexico, Televisa started showing The Mob Doctor from June 5, 2013 Monday to Thursday at 11:30pm on Canal 5 under the title La Doctora de la Mafia.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Living have obtained first run premiere rights to the first and only season of The Mob Doctor. Originally, the series was billed to air on Tuesday nights at 10:00pm from August 6, 2013. However, the premiere was moved to Friday nights at 10:00pm from August 9, 2013.
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released The Mob Doctor - The Complete Series onto DVD on March 12, 2013 on a 3-disc set.
- "FOX Announces Fall Premiere Dates for the 2012-2013 Season". The Futon Critic. June 18, 2012. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "THE MOB DOCTOR". Fox Broadcast. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "'The Mob Doctor' canceled at FOX but will air all 13 episodes; 'Touch' premiere moves again - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. 2012-11-28. Archived from the original on 2012-12-28. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "FOX Pulls the Plug on 'The Mob Doctor,' Sets Season 2 Premiere of 'Touch'". Buddytv.com. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Seidman, Robert (May 9, 2012). "Updated (5): Fox New Show Pick Ups: Comedy 'Ben & Kate' + 'It's Messy' + 'Goodwin Games' + Dramas 'The Mob Doctor' & 'The Following'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (May 14, 2012). "Fox 2012-13 Primetime Schedule Announced: 'Touch' & 'Fringe' Friday, 'Bones' & 'Mob Doctor' Monday, 'Glee' To Thursday, 4 Comedy Tuesday". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Ratny, Ruth. "Cameras roll on three TV projects here next week". Reel Chicago. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (September 23, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' Adjusted Up; 'CMA Music Festival' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 25, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'How I Met Your Mother', 'Mike and Molly', 'Voice', 'Bones' Adjusted Up; 'DWTS', 'Revolution', 'Castle' 'Hawaii Five-0' & 'LA Complex' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'How I Met Your Mother', 'Dancing With the Stars', '2 Broke Girls' & 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'IHeartRadio Music Festival' Adjusted Down". TVbythenumbers.com. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'DWTS' Adjusted Up; '90210', 'Revolution', 'Partners', '2 Broke Girls', 'Mike & Molly', 'Hawaii Five-0', and 'How I Met Your Mother' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: '2 Broke Girls', & 'Revolution' Adjusted Down; No Adjustment for 'The Mob Doctor', '90210' or 'The Voice'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara. "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'Castle', 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'The Mob Doctor' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 20, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' & 'Gossip Girl' Adjusted Up; 'How I Met Your Mother' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (November 27, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars', 'Bones' & '2 Broke Girls' Adjusted Up; 'How I Met Your Mother' & 'The Mob Doctor' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 4, 2012). "Monday Final Ratings: 'How I Met Your Mother' & 'Hawaii Five-0' Adjusted Up; 'Extreme Makeover', 'Gossip Girl' & 'Blake Shelton's Not So Family Christmas' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (2012-12-30). "TV Ratings Saturday: 'The Mob Doctor' Beats 'Made In Jersey' in Battle of the Burn-Offs; '48 Hours' Up - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (2013-01-04). "Monday Final Ratings: 'Dick Clark's Primetime New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest' & 'New Year's Eve With Carson Daly' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- Kondology, Amanda (January 6, 2013). "TV Ratings Saturday: NFL Wild Card Game Dominates Night + 'The Mob Doctor' Ticks Up". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (January 8, 2013). "Monday Final Ratings: No Adjustments to 'The Biggest Loser', 'The Bachelor', 'Deception' or 'Castle'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- "The Mob Doctor: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Mary McNamara (September 16, 2012). "For 'The Mob Doctor,' shoot two wise guys and call her in the morning". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Linda Stasi. "'Mob Doc' gets really busy". NY Post. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- David Wiegard (September 14, 2012). "'The Mob Doctor' review: Dead on arrival". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "A DECADE IN THE MAKING: CTV UNVEILS 2012/2013 PRIMETIME SCHEDULES # # # FOUR NEW SERIES JOIN CTV THIS FALL; CTV TWO ADDS THREE NEW SERIES" (Press release). Bell Media. May 31, 2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Serie de estreno:: Canal 5" (Press release). Televisa. June 6, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Lambert, David (January 7, 2013). "The Mob Doctor - The Short-Lived Complete Series is Coming to DVD Soon". TVShowsonDVD.com. Archived from the original on January 10, 2013. Retrieved January 7, 2013.