The Mombasa Cartel
|"The Mombasa Cartel"|
|The Blacklist episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2|
|Directed by||David Platt|
|Written by||Daniel Knauf|
|Original air date||October 27, 2014|
In the mid-1980s, a young African boy witnesses his family get massacred by a group of human traffickers before getting kidnapped by the same group in Sierra Leone. In the present day, one of the human traffickers gets kidnapped and sedated. His skinned body is stranded at a remote location in Kamchatka, Russia. Reddington identifies the group of human traffickers as the Mombasa Cartel, responsible for a large number of poachings of endangered wildlife. After getting a lead from a technology-based businessman, the Task Force arrests one of the Mombasa Cartel's business partners for further information to no avail. When attempted surveillance on the business partner has failed, a drug-addicted Ressler heads to a remote cabin in Anchorage, Alaska after getting a lead from the Task Force, only for him to be held prisoner by a small family responsible for kidnapping and preserving the bodies of the Mombasa Cartel members. While Liz and Samar lead a Hostage Rescue Team to rescue Ressler and apprehend the suspects, Reddington confronts the mastermind, Geoff Perl (Peter Fonda), in a remote hotel. Reddington reveals that the young boy was Dembe and recovers the full list of the Mombasa Cartel members before killing the mastermind. During the aftermath, Reddington makes an interaction with Jennifer, and it is revealed that Liz has held Tom prisoner in a remote cell for an undisclosed amount of time.
"The Mombasa Cartel" premiered on NBC on October 27, 2014 in the 10–11 p.m. time slot. The episode garnered a 2.5/7 Nielsen rating with 9.57 million viewers, making it the highest-rated show in its timeslot and the sixteenth highest-rated television show of the week.
Jason Evans of The Wall Street Journal gave a mixed review of the episode, stating: "The big reveal behind the door wasn’t a surprise to most of us, but it was still fun to finally see Lizzie’s secret. I am sorta disappointed that the show didn’t do more with Peter Fonda as Jeff Pearl. It feels like they could have gotten just about anyone to play that role."
Jodi Walker of Entertainment Weekly gave a positive review of the episode, noting that "the creep factor was high". She went on to say: "As a Very Special Halloween Episode of The Blacklist, “The Mombasa Cartel” worked quite well."
- "Episode Title: (#206) "THE MOMBASA CARTEL"". The Futon Critic. 2014-10-27. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Bibel, Sara (2014-10-28). "Monday Final Ratings: 'The Voice' & 'Scorpion' Adjusted Up; 'Dancing With the Stars', 'Castle', 'The Millers' & 'The Blacklist' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Tribune Digital Ventures. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Kondology, Amanda (2014-11-04). "TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops Week 6 With Adults 18-49, While World Series Tops Total Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Tribune Digital Ventures. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Evans, Jason (2014-10-27). "'The Blacklist' Recap: Season 2, Episode 6, 'The Mombasa Cartel'". The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. Retrieved 2015-06-06.
- Walker, Jodi (2014-10-28). "The Blacklist recap: 'The Mombasa Cartel'". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved 2015-06-06.