|Edited by||Barry Smith|
Oxford University Press on behalf of the Hegeler Institute
The Monist: An International Quarterly Journal of General Philosophical Inquiry is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal in the field of philosophy. It was established in October 1890 by Edward C. Hegeler. After ceasing publication in 1936, the journal resumed publication in 1962 and has been continually published since then. Each issue contains papers on a single, pre-announced topic.
The journal's editors-in-chief have included Paul Carus (1890-1919), Mary Hegeler Carus (1919-1936), Eugene Freeman (1962-1983), John Hospers (1983-1991), Barry Smith (University at Buffalo, 1992–present). Since January 2015 the journal has been published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Hegeler Institute.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed:
- Academic Search
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- ATLA Religion Database
- Expanded Academic ASAP
- International Bibliography of Periodical Literature
- International Philosophical Bibliography
- Philosopher's Index
- Philosophy Research Index
- ProQuest 5000
- VINITI Database RAS
- Homans, James E., ed. (1918). "Hegeler, Edward C.". The Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: The Press Association Compilers, Inc.