The Morning Show (Canadian TV series)
|The Morning Show|
The opening of The Morning Show
|Created by||Global Toronto|
|Developed by||Corus Entertainment|
|Presented by||Jeff McArthur
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||3|
|Location(s)||Corus Quay (since November 21, 2016)
121 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario (until September 16, 2016)
ET Canada studio (September 19, 2016 to November 18, 2016) (temporary)
|Running time||3.5 hours (Toronto)
30 minutes (National)
|Picture format||480i SDTV
|Original release||October 11, 2011 – present|
The Morning Show is a Canadian breakfast television show airing on Global. The three-hour program was first shown only on Global Toronto, but was expanded by 30 minutes in early 2013. The expanded portion of The Morning Show is aired nationally on Global. The program is hosted by Jeff McArthur as national news anchor and co-host, Carolyn Mackenzie as local news anchor, Liem Vu as weather presenter and news/social media reporter, and Kimberly Fowler as airborne traffic reporter. It debuted on October 11, 2011, from a ground level storefront studio at the Corus Entertainment Building (formerly Shaw Media Building) on 121 Bloor Street East in Downtown Toronto. On September 16, 2016, the show moved out of their Bloor Street Studio to the ET Canada studios. This was a temporary studio while a new one was being built at Corus Quay. The show moved to its new studios at Corus Quay on November 21, 2016. On May 19, 2015, Jeff McArthur joined the show, replacing Kris Reyes. On June 1, 2015, Carolyn Mackenzie became co-host replacing Antony Robart.
The show was launched on October 11, 2011 with Liza Fromer, who had been a co-host of Breakfast Television, and Dave Gerry as co-hosts. Kris Reyes from CityNews was hired as 'news anchor' reading the morning's news headlines and Daru Dhillon from CBC News as weather anchor. The show was called The Morning Show with Liza Fromer when it was launched, but the name was changed to The Morning Show.
Dave Gerry and Daru Dhillon departed the show in mid-2012, which led Kris Reyes to leave the position of newsreader for co-host alongside Liza Fromer. In the place of Gerry and Dhillon, former ABC News reporter Antony Robart joined the show as newsreader and former MSNBC weathercaster Rosey Edeh joined as weather anchor along with her current duties as news anchor at Global Toronto and reporter at ET Canada.
On June 5, 2013 Global Toronto's news anchor Leslie Roberts was announced as the co-host of the national edition of the show. Roberts resigned on January 15, 2015, following allegations of conflict of interest for allegedly promoting clients of his public relations firm on the air, including on The Morning Show.
In May 2015, Antony Robart departed from the show and was replaced by Carolyn Mackenzie.
On June 28, 2016, Global News announced that they had not renewed co-host Liza Fromer's contract when it expires at the end of the month. No replacement will be hired to fill the position. Carolyn Mackenzie took her place on the national edition.
The show moved from its studios at 121 Bloor Street East in September 2016. A new studio for the show was built at Corus Quay, which began being used on November 21, 2016. As a temporary studio, The Morning Show used ET Canada's studio.
The program includes news, weather and current events, with three-way discussions among the hosts. Each day they bring guests on throughout the broadcast to be interviewed about their lives, expertise, shows or recordings that the guests may be promoting at the time.
On December 12, 2012, it was announced that The Morning Show would be expanded in early 2013 to include an additional half-hour that would be broadcast nationally.
In 2015, due to a centralization initiative, national news segments, anchored by Jeff McArthur, from the Toronto production began to be shown as part of local morning shows on Global Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Montreal and Halifax.
Still at Global
- Antony Robart, now multi-market anchor of Global News at 10/11
No longer at Global
- Dave Gerry, now reporter for CTV News at Six Vancouver
- Daru Dhillon
- Leslie Roberts, resigned from Global in January 2015 due to allegations of potential conflict of interest
- Kris Reyes
- Rosey Edeh, was anchor of Global News at Noon (2012-2016). Contract was not renewed with Global Toronto.
- Liza Fromer
CKWS-DT and CHEX-DT
In October 2016, Corus also launched local versions of The Morning Show on CKWS-DT Kingston and CHEX-DT Peterborough. These local morning programs follow a similar layout to The Morning Show on Global Toronto and Global News Morning on Global O&O stations. National news is presented from Toronto by Jeff McArthur, like on other Global morning programs.
- Global News
- Global News Morning (morning newscasts on Global stations in other regions)
- Canada AM (cancelled CTV morning newscast)
- Your Morning
- Breakfast Television
- CP24 Breakfast
- News Hour
- "Leslie Roberts quits Global TV after Star investigation". Toronto Star. January 15, 2015.
- Staff. "16X9 cancelled, Liza Fromer contract not renewed amid changes at Global News". Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "The Morning Show - Timeline | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- Shum, David. "Global News to launch national version of The Morning Show". Global Toronto. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Global News announces significant changes to how news is produced". Global News. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Faguy, Steve (April 21, 2015). "Global TV cuts staff in Montreal, will anchor some local newscasts from Toronto". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Faguy, Steve. "Another step in Global's faking of local news". Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Staff. "'Global National,' 'The Morning Show' expanding into new areas". Global News. Retrieved 2016-10-18.