The Mosquito Net
|The Mosquito Net|
|Directed by||Agustí Vila|
|Produced by||Luis Miñarro|
|Written by||Agustí Vila|
|Music by||Alfons Conde|
|Edited by||Martí Roca|
The Mosquito Net (Original title: La mosquitera) is a 2010 Spanish drama film about a dysfunctional family. It was written and directed by Agustí Vila. It stars Emma Suárez, Geraldine Chaplin, Eduard Fernández and Martina García.
A bourgeois Catalan family are in a state of disarray. They are Miguel, his wife Alicia, their son Lluís, and Miguel's elderly parents. Lluís collects stray cats and dogs that now dominate the family apartment, much to his father's chagrin. Alicia is incapable of challenging the whims of her son and ponders separating from her husband. Miguel's mother, Maria suffers from Alzheimer's and her husband believes suicide may be the solution to their problems. Meanwhile, Alicia's friend, Raquel believes in a tough love method of parenting her daughter, albeit a method that leads to abuse.
- Emma Suárez as Alícia
- Geraldine Chaplin as María
- Eduard Fernández as Miguel
- Marcos Franz as Lluís
- Martina García as Ana
- Anna Ycobalzeta as Raquel
- Àlex Brendemühl as Editor
- Fermí Reixach as Robert
- Àlex Batllori as Sergi
Filming began in Barcelona on 9 November 2009. The film represents the linguistic texture of the city, with the use of both Spanish and Catalan. Madrid actress, Emma Suárez had to learn Catalan especially for her role.
Chaplin described the enthusiasm she had for the project, revealing that it was "the best script that I have ever read in my life".
The Hollywood Reporter described the film as "intriguing" and that "the questions it raises stick in the mind. It should engage audiences with a taste for complex urban quandaries presented with Spanish flair."
Suárez was nominated for the Goya Award for Best Actress and won the Best Actress Award at the Valladolid International Film Festival. The film also won the Crystal Globe at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival.
- The Mosquito Net British Film Institute. Retrieved on 28 July 2011
- Geraldine Chaplin: "La Mosquitera es el mejor guión que he leído en mi vida". EFE Newswire. 18 November 2009
- The Mosquito Net -- Film Review The Hollywood Reporter. 15 October 2010
- Kiarostami y Miguel Cohan comparten la Espiga de Oro de la Seminci; 'La mosquitera', de Agustín Vila, se llevó la Espiga de Plata y el premio a la mejor actriz fue para Emma Suárez por esta misma película. Hoy. 30 October 2010
- La película española "La Mosquitera" triunfa en el Festival de Cine de Karlovy Vary. EuroNews. 11 July 2010