The Moth & The Flame
||This article needs to be updated. (September 2016)|
|The Moth & The Flame|
|Origin||Utah, United States|
The Moth ⅋ The Flame album (2011-2012)
The Moth & The Flame released their eponymous debut album on November 11, 2011 (11.11.11). The album has never been available for purchase in a digital format in appreciation of the album art work, however online streaming of the album is possible on Soundcloud. The album was produced by Nate Pyfer and engineered by Scott Wiley (Neon Trees, Elvis Costello) and mixed by Mike Roskelley (Kaskade, Skrillex, Deadmau5). To promote their music, the band created large pieces (sometimes as much as 20 feet (6 m)) of anthropomorphic artwork, which they placed strategically in their home town of Provo, Utah, to alert fans of upcoming shows.
In 2013, they showcased at South By Southwest Music Festival, North By Northeast Music Festival and performed at Sundance Film Festival. They toured the UK in May 2013 making their first appearance overseas at The Great Escape Festival in Brighton. They performed at KCRW sponsored It's A School Night and at New Noise Music Festival 2013.
Ampersand EP (2013)
On November 5, 2013, the six-track Ampersand EP ('&' EP) was released internationally through RED Distribution label Hidden Records. Ampersand EP was produced by Joey Waronker (Atoms for Peace, Beck, R.E.M.) and features the single "Sorry". Nylon featured track "Sorry" as a free download in September 2013. KCRW listed it as one of "Four Songs You Should Listen to Right Now". A music video for "Sorry" premiered on mtvU on Friday, November 22, 2013. The band was chosen as the "New Band of the Day" by The Guardian on Friday November 22, 2013. "Sorry" was chosen as the Track of the Day by Clash BBC Radio 1 played "Sorry" as its Next Hype track selected by Zane Lowe. "Sorry" reached #1 on KROQ's Locals Only Playlist. A music video for "Winsome" was released on NPR.
TMTF supported Imagine Dragons alongside Dan Croll on their Night Visions Tour in Europe during the fall and winter of 2013 to promote the EP. TMTF also supported Imagine Dragons at two United States shows during the summer of 2013. They also toured with The Naked and Famous. In fall of 2014 TMTF supported Neon Trees and Placebo on tours. In 2015 TMTF toured with Big Data.
Young & Unafraid
The band's second album was made with the help of producer/mixer Peter Katis (Interpol, The National), Tony Hoffer (M83, Beck), and Nate Pyfer (Parlor Hawk, Fictionist). The album features strings arrangements from Rob Moose (Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, yMusic). The band released the album's lead single "Young & Unafraid" in May 2015.
- Brandon Robbins – Vocals, Guitar
- Mark Garbett – Backing Vocals, Keyboards, Synthesizer
- Andrew Tolman – Backing Vocals, Drums
- The Moth ⅋ The Flame (2011)
- Young & Unafraid (2016)
- "Young & Unafraid" (2015) [#37 Alternative Songs]
|"Sorry"||2013||Devin McGinn & Ken Bretschneider|
|"How We Woke Up"||N/A|
|"Young & Unafraid"||2015||Rebecca Thomas|
- Brimacombe, James (2011-11-30). "The Moth ⅋ The Flame – The Moth ⅋ The Flame REVIEW". Fake Plastic Tunes. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "The Moth ⅋ The Flame: Thank you Utah | Inyourspeakers Media". Inyourspeakers.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "The Moth ⅋ the Flame to join Imagine Dragons on tour – U N I V E R S E". Universe.byu.edu. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Get to Know the 2012 Mill Valley ASCAP Music Café Lineup". Ascap.com. 2012-10-01. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "MVFF ASCAP Cafe with The Goods, The Moth and the Flame, & 2AM Club". Sweetwater Music Hall. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Mobile Do512.com". I.do512.com. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Still Corners playing NYC before NXNE (dates & updated lineup)". Brooklynvegan.com. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Sundance Film Festival attracts performances by local musicians – U N I V E R S E". Universe.byu.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "ARTIST PROFILE " The Great Escape". Mamacolive.com. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "The Moth ⅋ The Flame". Newnoisesb.org. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Once a Provo band, The Moth and the Flame returns to Utah with record deal, new material | The Salt Lake Tribune". Sltrib.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- Kramer, Sarah (2013-10-24). "Salt Lake City Music – Music Articles: The Moth ⅋ the Flame". Cityweekly.net. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Nylon Magazine". Nylonmag.com. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Four Songs You Should Listen to Right Now | KCRW Music Blog". Blogs.kcrw.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "The Moth ⅋ The Flame Premiere ‘Sorry'". mtvu.com. 2013-11-22. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- Paul Lester. "The Moth and the Flame (New band of the day No 1,646) | Music". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "News | Clash Magazine". Clashmusic.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Corbett, Kat (2013-12-15). "Locals Only Playlist 12/15/13: Hellogoodbye, Johnathan Rice, Barely Blind, & More – Listen And Vote « The World Famous KROQ". Kroq.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Bob Boilen Twitter Instagram. "The Moth & The Flame, 'Winsome'". NPR. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- [dead link]
- "Elektra Records Signs The Moth & The Flame; Acclaimed Provo, Utah Alternative Rock Outfit Unveils New Live Video in Advance of Eagerly Awaited Elektra Debut Album; As-Yet-Untitled Collection Set for 2015 Release". Marketwired.com. 2014-09-18. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- Billboard (2014-09-17). "The Moth & the Flame Signs to Elektra Records, Shares 'Sorry' Live Video: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "RADAR: The Moth ⅋ The Flame – Music News / New Music – Direct Current". Directcurrentmusic.com. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- Billboard (2015-09-24). "The Moth & The Flame Premieres 'Young & Unafraid' EP: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "The Moth & The Flame "Young & Unafraid"". YouTube. 2015-05-04. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- [dead link]
- "Video Premiere: The Moth & The Flame - "How We Woke Up" :: Music :: Video :: The Moth & The Flame :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "Our video is now up on youtube! If you... - The Moth & the Flame". Facebook. 2015-05-05. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Moth & The Flame.|