|Origin||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Past members||Tony Bohnenkamp|
The Nadas are a folk rock quintet based in Des Moines, Iowa. Formed in 1995 in Ames, Iowa, the band earned early success on the local college scene, eventually becoming the house band for People's Bar and Grill in Ames. Their lineup currently consists of guitarist/vocalist Mike Butterworth, guitarist/vocalist Jason Walsmith, bassist Brian Duffey, drummer Brandon Stone, and violist/keyboardist Jonanne Tucker.
Their initial success resulted in the first of seven albums, titled, "Not A Sound,"—a phonetic allusion to the band's name. Following the success of "Not A Sound," the band members embarked on the first of what would become regular tours, traveling throughout the country and performing at a variety of venues. The band was called "The Best College Band You've Never Heard Of" by Playboy Magazine in 2001.
The Nadas' music is featured on the local arts-and-crafts show Courage to Create, airing on KDSM-TV Sunday mornings. "Carve Your Name" from the Coming Home CD is the show's theme song. The title song from Listen Through the Static, written about small community radio station KDNK-FM in Carbondale, CO, was featured on the December 2005 MacAddict CD-ROM. Their "Walk Away" is sung at the end of a competition on Speed Channel's Pinks, after the winner has been determined.
The Nadas song "Feel Like Home" is the community anthem for the Des Moines, Iowa "Do More" campaign.
The band's album "Almanac" found the band releasing a new song each month throughout 2009 as a musical snapshot of that year.
On the January 15, 2020, episode of Democracy Now, during the run-up to the 2020 Iowa caucuses, the band's 1997 song "Run in Place" was featured as a series of musical interludes.
- Not a Sound (1995, Nomad Records)
- New Start (1997, Nomad Records)
- Coming Home (2000, Authentic Records)
- Transceiver (2003, Authentic Records)
- Listen Through the Static (2005, Authentic Records)
- The Ghosts Inside These Halls (2008, Authentic Records)
- Almanac (2010, Authentic Records)
- Lovejoy Revival (2013, Authentic Records)
- One Louder (2018, Authentic Records)
- Static Sessions (2019, Authentic Records)
- Duo Numero Uno (2020, Authentic Records)
- En Vivo! (2000)
- Show to Go (2001)
- Any Given Living Room (2017, Authentic Records)
- Leimkuehler, Matthew. "One of Iowa's favorite bands is celebrating 25 years (and doesn't plan to stop making music any time soon)". Des Moines Register. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- "The Nadas - Bio". thenadas.com. Retrieved 2022-05-16.
- Biography, Allmusic.com
- Katie Vaughan, Nadas Grow Beyond College Band Status. Quad City Times, March 1, 2007. Accessed July 3, 2007.
- Playboy Magazine, September 4, 2001.
- Jeremy Buckley, Authentic Recording Archived 2006-11-04 at archive.today. Omaha City Weekly. Accessed July 3, 2007.