The Naked Communist
|Author||W. Cleon Skousen|
|Cover artist||Izzard Ink Publishing|
|Subject||Communism and Socialism|
|Published||1958, 2014 (Izzard Ink Publishing)|
|LC Class||HX44 .S5585 2009|
The Naked Communist is a 1958 book by an ex FBI agent, United States author political theorist Cleon Skousen. The book has been reprinted several times, the most recent of which was a 2014 printing through Izzard Ink Publishing, and has sold more than 1 million copies.
The author posits and seeks to describe a geopolitical strategy by which the Marxist–Leninist Soviet Union was attempting to overcome and control all the governments of the world that were not members of the Communist bloc. At the time that the book was published, during the Cold War, fear of communism was common among people in non-communist nations.
Critical reception for The Naked Communist has been divisive. Max Blumenthal heavily criticized the book in his 2009 book Republican Gomorrah, where he dismissed it as a "right-peddling conspiracy tract". In contrast the book has been highly praised by Glenn Beck and American neurosurgeon Ben Carson, the latter of which stated that “The Naked Communist lays out the whole progressive plan. It is unbelievable how fast it has been achieved.”
- Umbr(a): The Object. The Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Culture. 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Vegső, Roland (2012). The Naked Communist: Cold War Modernism and the Politics of Popular Culture. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780823245581. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Haddock, Sharon. "Beck's backing bumps Skousen book to top". Deseret News. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Forest Glen Durland (2003-03-24). "Communist Goals (1963)". Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- Blumenthal, Max (2009). Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement That Shattered the Party. Nation Books. p. 331. ISBN 1568583982. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Wilentz, Sean (October 18, 2010). "Confounding Fathers". The New Yorker 86 (32): 32. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "The Kelly File with Ben Carson". The Kelly File with Ben Carson. YouTube.
- "Urban Faith The Naked Communist". Urban Faith The Naked Communist. Urban Faith.
- Mattingly, Phil. "Ben Carson's Longshot Presidential Bid Suddenly Looks a Lot More Realistic". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 June 2015.