The Nanny (1965 film)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2010)|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Seth Holt|
|Produced by||Jimmy Sangster|
|Written by||Jimmy Sangster|
|Music by||Richard Rodney Bennett|
|Edited by||Tom Simpson|
|Distributed by||Warner-Pathé Distributors (UK)
20th Century Fox (USA)
|7 November 1965 (UK)
27 October 1965 (U.S.)
|Box office||$2 million (US/ Canada)|
The Nanny is a 1965 British suspense film directed by Seth Holt and starring Bette Davis, Wendy Craig and Jill Bennett. Davis appears as a supposedly devoted nanny caring for a ten-year-old boy recently discharged from a home for disturbed children. It is based on the novel of the same name by Evelyn Piper (a pseudonym for Merriam Modell), and the film was scored by Richard Rodney Bennett. The film was made by Hammer Film Productions at Elstree Studios.
Ten-year-old Joey Fane returns home from the special school he has attended since the death of his toddler sister. At home he creates a terrible fuss, moving from the bedroom Nanny has prepared for him to one with a strong lock and access to the fire escape, refusing to eat anything Nanny cooks and adamant that Nanny shall not come near him. He also accuses Nanny of trying to kill him. Nanny runs the Fane household, but in practice infantilizes the women of the Fane family. Everyone assumes Joey is deeply disturbed and dangerous, but it emerges he is quite right to be afraid of Nanny.
|William Dix||Joey Fane|
|Wendy Craig||Virginia "Virgie" Fane|
|Jill Bennett||Aunt Pen|
|James Villiers||Bill Fane|
|Pamela Franklin||Bobby Medman|
|Jack Watling||Dr. Medman|
|Maurice Denham||Dr. Beamaster|
|Alfred Burke||Dr. Wills|
|Angharad Aubrey||Susy Fane|
The movie screening rights were sold to American television for nearly $400,000.
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p230 Please note figures are rentals not total gross. See also "Top Grossers of 1965", Variety, 5 January 1966 p 36
- "The Nanny - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Guarisco, Donald. "The Nanny (1965) - Review - AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Tom Johnson and Deborah Del Vecchio, Hammer Films: An Exhaustive Filmography, McFarland, 1996 p.258
- The Nanny at AllMovie
- The Nanny at the Internet Movie Database
- Bette Davis is The Nanny (TCM Movie Morlocks)
|This article about a 1960s thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|