The National Underground
The National Underground NYC in March 2010
|Type||casual dining, restaurants, live shows|
The National Underground is a music venue chain that was launched in December 2007. It is a roots rock Americana music bar founded in Manhattan's Lower East Side, at 159 East Houston Street between Allen and Eldridge Streets. In 2011, a further venue opened at 105 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37201.
The chain is co-owned by brothers Joey DeGraw and Gavin DeGraw, and offers music, food, and drink. Joey DeGraw is an independent artist whose first record sold 40,000 copies without any label support. Gavin DeGraw is a multi-platinum J Records recording artist. The New York space once was home to Martignetti Liquors, and has been decorated with hanging tapestries and a pair of Texas longhorns above the bar.
The idea for the venue came about because the brothers wanted a place where they could hang out on a regular basis, and where other musicians could come in and listen and learn. "We were picky about the quality of musicians that played there," Gavin DeGraw says. "We wanted a place where the players were so good, other musicians were like, 'Wow! I really respect what they're doing.'"
Musicians that have played at The National Underground include Gavin DeGraw, Joss Stone, Chris Barron, and The Shells. Irish musician Rob Smith played his first ever US show at the venue in 2010.
The National Underground hosts a weekly open mic night every Monday from 7-10 P.M.
- "National Underground". The National Underground. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- Carlson, Erin (May 8, 2008). "Gavin DeGraw Doesn't Wanna Be Another Singer-Songwriter". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- Friedman, Roger (March 6, 2008). "Patrick Swayze Slammed by National Enquirer". Fox News. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- "Soul of the City: New York City". Glide Magazine. August 29, 2008. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- "The National Underground: About Us". The National Underground. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- . Citysearch.
- . urbandaddy.com.
- Adams, Patty (July 27, 2008). "Six Seconds with: Gavin DeGraw -- Why the Singer-Songwriter Believes in Speaking Softly and Carrying a Big Pizza". New York Post. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- Tomcho, Sandy (August 15, 2008). "Gavin DeGraw Performs at Monticello Gaming & Raceway: Singer Plays Homecoming Show at Monticello Track". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- Miller, Kirk (February 15, 2008). "Inside: National Underground: Gavin DeGraw Brings the Bleecker Street Drinking Experience to the LES", Metromix. Retrieved September 6, 2009.
- . recordonline.com.
- http://showsavant.com/bands/rob-smith/concert/manhattan/2010/Sep/15 showsavant.com
- Niemietz, Brian (April 13, 2008). "Making the Scene ... The National Underground". New York Post. Retrieved September 5, 2009.