The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane
"The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane" is a popular song written by Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett. The lyrics suggest that this "naughty lady" driving the whole town crazy is an attractive young woman who "throws those come-hither glances at every Tom, Dick and Joe" and "when offered some liquid refreshment never says no"; but the last line reveals her to be an infant "nine days old".
The recording by The Ames Brothers was made on September 8, 1954. It was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-5897. It first reached the Billboard magazine charts on November 20, 1954. On the Disk Jockey chart, it peaked at number 3; on the Best Seller chart, at number 3; on the Juke Box chart, at number 3. This version sold over one million copies in the US, and peaked at number 6 in the UK Singles Chart.
The Bleyer version was released by Cadence Records as catalog number 1254. The record first reached the Billboard magazine charts on November 24, 1954 and lasted 5 weeks on the chart, peaking at number 26. A contemporary review in Billboard compared the two versions by saying: "The Bleyer record has the sound; the Ames disk has the smoothness. Both have style ..."
In 2007, The Roches recorded a version on their album Moonswept.
- Dean Martin
|United Kingdom (NME)||5|
|United Kingdom (Record Mirror)||1|
- [dead link]
- Whitburn, Joel (1973): Top Pop Records 1940-1955. Record Research
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 22. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Cadence Singles/EP Discography (1953-1964)". Bsnpubs.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- "Review Spotlight on ... Records". Billboard. November 6, 1954. p. 40. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "Artist Chart History Details: Dean Martin". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- Smith, Alan. "Every No.1 in the 1960s is listed from all the nine different magazine charts!". Dave McAleer's website. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
|This 1950s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|