The Negative One
|"The Negative One"|
|Single by Slipknot|
|from the album .5: The Gray Chapter|
|Released||August 1, 2014|
|Slipknot singles chronology|
"The Negative One" is a song by American metal band Slipknot. Released on August 1, 2014, it is the band's first new song since the death of bassist Paul Gray in 2010 and the departure of drummer Joey Jordison in 2013. An accompanying video for the song premiered on their official website on August 5, 2014, however no band members were featured. Vocalist Corey Taylor told BBC Radio 1 that he saw the song as more of a "gift to the fans" than an actual single though it was still released as a digital single on iTunes and many other digital music retailers.
Before the release of this single, on February 27, 2014, all of the band's social media outlets were blacked out with no reason given. Later on the band released small few second teasers for the new album each day which turned out to be clips from the official video along with samples from the song.
"The Negative One" returns to a more aggressive and chaotic sound, similar to the sound of Iowa and the self-titled debut album. Among others, it contains double-bass attacks and stomping percussion strikes combined with fast riffs, shrieking samples and continuous aggressive shouting/screaming by Corey Taylor. The drumming style on the song was compared to the style of Lamb of God's Chris Adler, which led to the question if he is the new drummer for Slipknot, but Adler said the rumor was incorrect.
The video was released on the band's official website via a private YouTube link after a countdown on their official site timed out on August 5. The next day, the video was made publicly available. Directed by Shawn Crahan, the music video features two women performing various acts along with props paying homage to some of Slipknot's earlier work. It does not feature any of the band members.
This was the band's first NSFW video on YouTube and must have an account with 18+ years of age to watch. The video was whitelisted when first released, but now the link is public. However, age verification is still required.
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||21|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||71|
|UK Rock and Metal (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||33|
- (#0) Sid Wilson – turntables
- (#3) Chris Fehn – Percussion, backing vocals
- (#4) Jim Root – guitars
- (#5) Craig Jones – keyboards, samples, media
- (#6) Shawn Crahan – percussion
- (#7) Mick Thomson – guitars
- (#8) Corey Taylor – vocals
- Jay Weinberg – drums
- Alessandro Venturella or Donnie Steele – bass
- Daisy Wyatt (2014-03-19). "Slipknot unveil first new song in six years 'The Negative One' - News - Music". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- August 5, 2014 (2013-04-17). "Slipknot To Film Video For New Single 'The Devil In I'". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "SLIPKNOT, ANTHRAX, MASTODON, MOTÖRHEAD Among GRAMMY AWARDS Nominees". MTV. 2014-12-05. Retrieved 2014-12-06.
- Hollywood.com, LLC (2014-02-28). "Slipknot baffle fans with blackout | General News". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "Slipknot Continue Album Tease With Cryptic Written Message". Loudwire.com. 2014-07-31. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "Lamb of God's Chris Adler Addresses Rumors That He Played on Slipknot's 'The Negative One'". Loudwire. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "The Negative One-Slipknot". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "The Devil In I". Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- Slipknot Mainstream Rock Songs Chart History