The NeverEnding Story (song)
|"The NeverEnding Story"|
|Single by Limahl|
|from the album Don't Suppose and The NeverEnding Story|
|B-side||"Ivory Tower" or Instrumental version|
|Format||7" single, 12" maxi|
|Genre||Synthpop, new wave|
|Writer(s)||Giorgio Moroder, Keith Forsey|
|Limahl singles chronology|
"The NeverEnding Story" is the title song from the English version of the 1984 film The NeverEnding Story. It was performed by Limahl. Limahl released two versions of the song, one in English and one in French. The English version featured vocals by Beth Anderson, and the French version featured vocals by Ann Calvert. It was a success in many countries, reaching No. 1 Norway and Sweden, No. 2 in Austria, Germany and Italy, No. 4 in the UK. No. 6 in Australia and No. 6 in the US Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
Background and writing
The song was composed by Giorgio Moroder with lyrics by Keith Forsey, although it (and other electronic pop elements of the soundtrack) is not present in the German version of the film, which features Klaus Doldinger's score exclusively.
As a reference to the film and its title, the song has no distinctive beginning, nor an end. While many songs fade out, "The NeverEnding Story" not only fades out, but also fades in, thus making it "never ending".
In 1985, the song was registered  and put into their album Bim Bum Bam by Italian children's choir Piccolo Coro dell'Antoniano. Later in was put into several other albums of the group. A music clip was released at the same time and shown in contemporary television programs for children.
The English theme song has been covered by Obsession (1990), Echo Image, The Birthday Massacre, Creamy, Dragonland, Miu Sakamoto and New Found Glory. Italian DJ Mauro Farina a.k.a. DJ Speedo and DJ AC-DC remixed the song at 175 bpm and released it on the 2003 happy hardcore compilation album Speed SFX. Creamy's version was further remixed for the 2005 dance compilation album Dancemania Covers 01.
For The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter, the song was performed by Joe Milner during the closing credits. This version was a guitar-driven track and is now considered to be a rarity. German techno group Scooter covered the song on their 2007 album Jumping All Over the World.
Space metal opera Docker's Guild covered the song on their second album The Heisenberg Diaries - Book A: Sounds of Future Past (2016). The song is a duet between Elize Ryd (lead singer of death metal band Amaranthe and Douglas R. Docker).
- 7" single
- "The NeverEnding Story"
- "Ivory Tower" by Giorgio Moroder
- 7" single
- "The NeverEnding Story" (club mix) - 6:09
- "The NeverEnding Story" (instrumental version) - 5:28
- 12" maxi
- "The NeverEnding Story" (12" mix) - 5:17
- "The NeverEnding Story" (7" mix) - 3:30
- "Ivory Tower" (12" mix) (instrumental) by Giorgio Moroder - 5:54
- iTunes single
- "The NeverEnding Story" (12" mix) - 5:20
- "The NeverEnding Story" (Giorgio 7" mix) - 3:31
- "The NeverEnding Story" (Rusty 7" mix) - 3:54
- "The NeverEnding Story" (12" dance mix) - 6:08
- "The NeverEnding Story" (12" dub mix) - 5:27
- "Ivory Tower" by Giorgio Moroder - 3:08
- "Ivory Tower" (12" mix) by Giorgio Moroder - 5:55
- "The NeverEnding Story" (7" Mix) - 3:30
- "The NeverEnding Story" (12" Mix) - 5:17
- "The NeverEnding Story" (Club Mix) - 6:09
- "The NeverEnding Story" (Instrumental Version) - 5:28
|UK||Silver||December 1, 1984||200,000|
1 "The NeverEnding Story"/"L'Histoire Sans Fin"
"I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder
|Swedish Singles Chart number-one single
23 November 1984 – 7 December 1984
"Forever Young" by Alphaville
|Norwegian VG-lista Singles Chart number-one single
26 November 1984 – 7 January 1985
"Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid
"Easy Lover" by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins
|Japanese Oricon International Weekly Singles Chart number-one single
18 March 1985 – 15 April 1985
"We Are the World" by USA for Africa
- "'NeverEnding Story' Release Info". Limahl.co.uk. Retrieved June 17, 2010. (dead)
- Never Ending Story version of Piccolo Coro dell'Antoniano
- Discogs, Speed SFX
- Discogs, Dancemania Covers 01
- UK certifications Bpi.co.uk (Retrieved 3 September 2008)
- "NeverEnding Story", various singles charts Lescharts.com (Retrieved 24 February 2008)
- German Singles Chart Charts-surfer.de (Retrieved 1 September 2008)
- Irish Singles Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved 24 February 2008)
- Italian Singles Chart HitParadeItalia.it (Retrieved 12 September 2008)
- "Limahl - The Never Ending Story (song)". Norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved 1 September 2008)
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved 1 September 2008)
- 1984 Austrian Singles Chart Austriancharts.at (Retrieved 1 September 2008)