The New Adventures of Gilligan
|The New Adventures of Gilligan|
|Created by||Sherwood Schwartz|
|Creative director(s)||Don Christensen|
|Voices of||Bob Denver
Alan Hale, Jr.
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||24 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Sherwood Schwartz|
|Running time||approx. 30 min. (per episode)|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 7, 1974 – October 6, 1975|
|Preceded by||Gilligan's Island|
|Followed by||Rescue from Gilligan's Island|
It was based on the 1964–1967 CBS television series Gilligan's Island and featured all of the actors from the show, with the exception of Tina Louise, who was determined to distance herself from the role of Ginger Grant (the animated Ginger became a platinum blonde in case Louise objected to Filmation using her image), and Dawn Wells, who was on the road in a play and was unavailable (Jane Webb voiced both Ginger and Mary Ann; she was credited as Jane Edwards for the latter). Added to the cast was a sidekick for Gilligan, Snubby The Monkey. Much like other Filmation series at the time, many of the episodes concluded with Skipper and Gilligan talking about whatever lesson they had learned that day.
Like the original series and most Saturday morning animated series of the era, The New Adventures of Gilligan contained an adult laugh track.
The show debuted on ABC Saturday morning on September 7, 1974. After 24 episodes over two seasons, ABC relegated the show to Sunday mornings for a third and final season of repeats in 1976–77, as the network, still reeling from the ratings disaster in 1975–76 which was Uncle Croc's Block, was reluctant to order another season of animated Gilligan installments or anything new from Filmation Associates.
Another Gilligan's Island-based Filmation animated series called Gilligan's Planet was made in 1982. The premise for that series centers around the castaways creating a spaceship and winding up on a deserted planet.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2013)|
The New Adventures of Gilligan follows the same plot as the original sitcom Gilligan's Island. A first mate and his skipper set out on a three-hour tour with five passengers, a science professor, a rich couple, a movie star and a farm girl. All of the passengers and the ship crew get stranded on an uncharted desert isle, facing troubles throughout the series. Gilligan befriends a monkey named Stubby.
Season 1 (1974)
|No.||Title||Original air date||Production
|1||"Off Limits"||September 7, 1974||GI-1|
|Mr. Howel pays the other castaways to build him a resort with promise of membership but, upon completion he decides that they are not qualified to join his exclusive club. He soon learns that exclusion is not the best way to go.|
|2||"Looney Moon"||September 14, 1974||GI-2|
|The castaways suffer from island madness.|
|3||"Raven Mad"||September 21, 1974||GI-3|
|A raven takes Gilligan to the top of its cliff, intending to feed Gilligan to its baby ravens.|
|4||"Father of His Island"||September 28, 1974||GI-4|
|Natives come and want to know who the father of the island is. The castaways have Gilligan pose as one.|
|5||"Wrong Way Robot"
"Yeah, Would You Want Your Sister to Marry One?"
|October 5, 1974||GI-5|
|The Professor builds a robot which may be able to send for help.|
|6||"Opening Night"||October 12, 1974||GI-6|
|Mr. Howell opens a restaurant.|
|7||"Lollipop Casserole"||October 19, 1974||GI-7|
|Gilligan suggests Mary Ann should bake a Lollipop Casserole, but it blows up the huts.|
|8||"The Loners"||November 2, 1974||GI-8|
|The Howells charge money for borrowing things.|
|9||"The Ego Trip"
|October 26, 1974||GI-9|
|Mr. Howell has too big of an ego.|
|10||"The Olympiad"||November 9, 1974||GI-10|
|The castaways hold an Island Olympics. On Team Gilligan are Gilligan, Mary Ann, and the Skipper. On Team Howell are Mr. Howell, Mrs. Howell, and Ginger. The Professor is the judge.|
|11||"Their Own Image"||November 16, 1974||GI-11|
|Natives attack the castaways.|
|12||"The Disappearing Act"||November 23, 1974||GI-12|
|Gilligan mysteriously disappears without explanation. It turns out he was just out looking for coconuts.|
|13||"A Sinking Feeling"||November 30, 1974||GI-13|
|Gilligan and Mr. Howell get trapped in quicksand and it's up to the others to save them...|
|14||"Reluctant Hero"||December 7, 1974||GI-14|
|Gilligan can't admit he is a hero.|
|15||"The Same Old Dream"||December 14, 1974||GI-15|
|Gilligan can't admit he is a hero.|
|16||"Sputtering Eagle"||December 21, 1974||GI-16|
|An evil spy who lands on the island just happens to be Ginger's old boyfriend from high school.|
Season 2 (1975)
|No.||Title||Original air date||Production
|17||"Super Gilligan"||December 7, 1975||GI-17|
|Gilligan eats a radioactive banana and gains superpowers.|
|18||"Marooned Again"||September 6, 1975||GI-18|
|The castaways are finally rescued, but Gilligan messes things up and they are marooned again.|
|19||"Live and Let Live"||September 13, 1975||GI-19|
|Gilligan thinks the other castaways plan to kill him.|
|20||"Wheels on Parade"||September 20, 1975||GI-20|
|The Howells take advantage of Gilligan being their butler.|
|21||"The Movie Makers"||September 27, 1975||GI-21|
|Movie Makers come to the island and plan to make a movie of the castaways.|
|22||"Silence Is Leaden"||October 4, 1975||GI-22|
|The castaways have a no-talking contest and try to see who can't talk for the longest.|
|23||"The Great Train Robbery"||October 11, 1975||GI-23|
|Somebody is stealing supplies from the supply hut. It turns out to be Gilligan's pet monkey Stubby!|
|24||"Moderation"||October 18, 1975||GI-24|
|The castaways try to use island moderation.|
- Bob Denver - Willy Gilligan
- Alan Hale, Jr. - Skipper Jonas Grumby
- Jim Backus - Thurston Howell III
- Natalie Schafer - Mrs. Thurston Howell III
- Russell Johnson - Professor Roy Hinkley
- Jane Webb - Ginger Grant, Mary Ann Summers
- Creative Director: Don Christensen
- Directed by: Don Towsley, Rudy Larriva, Lou Zukor, Bill Reed
- Storyboard Supervisor: Kay Wright
- Storyboard: Sherman Labby, Mike Goodwich, Paul Fessell, Phil Hasey
- Educational Advisors: Dr. Nathan Cohen, Sylvia Cohen
- Layout Supervision: Alberto De Mello, Herb Hazleton, Robert Kline
- Key Assistants: Mike Hazy, David West, Ed Hasey
- Layout: Tom Burton, George Goode, Wes Hersechsohn, Les Kaluza, Mel Kiefer, Ken Leonard, Carol Lindberg, John Perry, Mario Filuso, Lorna Smith, Cliff Voorhees, Wendell Washer, Jim Willoughby
- Director of Color: Ervin L. Kaplan
- Background Artists: Paul Xander, Don Peters, Fay Keppler, Rolly Oliva, Doug Stevenson, Tom O'Loughlin, Janey Brown, Barbara Benedetto
- Animators: Jim Brummett, Zion Davush, Otto Feuer, Ed Friedman, Fred Grable, Dick Hall, Lou Kachivas, Marsh Lamore, Bob Matz, Fred Meyers, Casey Onaitis, Jack Ozark, Bill Pratt, Virgil Raddatz, Len Rogers, Virgil Ross, Louise Sandoval, Larry Silverman, Hank Smith, Ed Soloman, Estuben Timmers, Ron Westlund
- Checking Supervision: Marion Turk, Jane Philippi
- Xerography & Paint Supervision: John Remmel, Betty Brooks
- Camera Supervision: R.W. Pope
- Camera: Thane Berti, F.T. Ziegler, John D. Aardal, Joe Ponticelle, William Koyler, Dean G. Teves, Don Dinehart
- Editorial Supervision: Joseph Simon
- Film Editing: Doreen Dixon, Jim Blodget
- Film Coordinator: June Gilham
- Music and Sound Effects: Horta-Mahana Corporation
- Color by: Technicolor
- The Gilligan Theme and Background Music by: Yvette Blais, Jeff Michael
- Created by: Sherwood Schwartz, Executive Consultant
- Produced by Lou Scheimer, Norm Prescott
- (c)1974 Filmation Associates, Inc. – Sherwood Schwartz
So far, the premiere episode of The New Adventures of Gilligan, "Off Limits," has been released as part of Warner Home Video's Saturday Morning Cartoons – 1970s Volume 2 on October 27, 2009. The Complete Series was originally scheduled to be released on DVD for the first time in the spring of 2011, but is now pushed back.
Related animated shows
- Gilligan's Planet released in 1982 with a single season of 13 episodes acting as a "sequel of sorts" to this show.
- In May 2013 FinalBlendTV announced that they would be releasing an animated Gilligan's Island web series starting in the fall of 2013. The first season will consist of 4 episodes lasting 7–10 minutes each.
- "Site News DVD news: Update for Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1960's Volume 2 and Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1970's Volume 2". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Gilligan's Island Tribute Series". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "FinalBlendTV". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- The New Adventures of Gilligan at the Internet Movie Database
- The New Adventures of Gilligan at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- TVSeriesFinale.com article on last episode. Includes series opening and closing.