The New Adventures of He-Man
|The New Adventures of He-Man|
New Adventures of He-Man title screen
|Genre||Animated television series|
|Created by||Mattel (He-Man and Skeletor)
Donald F. Glut
Steven J. Fisher
|Developed by||Jack Olesker|
|Voices of||Garry Chalk
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jean Chalopin|
|Running time||30 mins|
|Production company(s)||Jetlag Productions
|Original release||September 10 – December 7, 1990|
|Related shows||He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
She-Ra: Princess of Power
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002 TV series)
The New Adventures of He-Man is an American animated series which ran in syndication in the fall of 1990 while Mattel released the toy line He-Man, an update of their Masters of the Universe line. The cartoon series was intended to be a continuation of Filmation's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series. Filmation had gone defunct a year earlier and this series was meant to add more episodes to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, which itself was in syndication at the time.
This would mark the final entry in the original Masters of the Universe continuity, as the whole franchise would be rebooted twelve years later.
He-Man, legendary defender of the planet Eternia, has been summoned to the futuristic planet of Primus to defend the planet from the evil Mutants of the neighboring planet of Denebria. But his old adversary Skeletor has followed him and allied himself with the Mutants in his fight to conquer the whole universe. Together with a team of Galactic Guardians, He-Man fights to defend Primus and all its power resources from the continuous attacks by Skeletor and the Mutants.
- Don Brown - Hydron, Gepple, Optikk, Quakke, Kayo, Vizar, Werban
- Garry Chalk - He-Man, Artilla, President Pell, Alcon, Sgt. Krone, Andros, Gross
- Ted Cole - Spinwit, Slush Head, Karatti, Staghorn, Gleep
- Tracy Eisner - Drissi
- Mark Hildreth - Caz
- Antony Holland - Master Sebrian
- Campbell Lane - Skeletor, Sagitar
- Scott McNeil - Flipshot, Butthead, Krex, Captain Zang
- Doug Parker - Adam of Grayskull, Hoove, Meldoc
- Alvin Sanders - Flogg, Tuskador
- Venus Terzo - Crita, Mara, Sorceress of Castle Grayskull
- Susan Blu - Voice Director
In the New Adventures minicomics packaged with the toys, the story is slightly different: when Prince Adam and Skeletor travel to Primus, Adam becomes He-Man in front of Skeletor, revealing his secret identity and giving up the identity of Prince Adam to remain permanently as He-Man. The "explosion" from the transformation damages Skeletor, and he has to become a cyborg in order to survive. Also, in the comics Skeletor does not fake allegiance to Flogg; instead, he defeats Flogg and assumes full command of the Evil Mutants.
The element of the transformation from Adam to He-Man is retained from the first cartoon series, as the makers felt it would be unwise to abandon it given that the transformation sequence had been one of the most popular elements of the original series. However, in this series, one word in the transformation line is different - instead of "By the power of Grayskull...I have the power!", he says "By the power of Eternia...I have the power!"
The show has been compared to the original series, with most reviews noting a dramatic shift in tone, creating a sense of discontinuity compared to the original. The quality of the animation is considered superior, but the character designs have been described as bland.
BCI Eclipse LLC (under license from Entertainment Rights) released The New Adventures of He-Man on DVD in Region 1 in two volume sets in 2006/2007.
As of 2009, this release has been discontinued and is out of print as BCI Eclipse has ceased operations.
To commemorate the 30th anniversary He-Man and the Masters of the Universe brand, Mill Creek Entertainment released the 30th Anniversary Commemorative Collection of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe DVD in December 2012. The 22-disc features all 130 episodes of the 1983 series, 20 fan-favorite episodes of the 1990 series, as well as all 39 episodes of the 2002 series.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The New Adventures of He-Man: Volume 1||33||December 26, 2006|
|The New Adventures of He-Man: Volume 2||32||March 27, 2007|
- "Masters Cast - Episode 25". Masters Cast. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "DVD Review: The New Adventures of He-Man - Volume 1". The Trades. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "DVD Review: The New Adventures of He-Man - Volume 1". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "The New Adventures of He-Man Volume 1": Fighting Mutant Slime in a Future Time". Toon Zone. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Todd Ciolek. "The 11 Most Insulting Cartoon Reboots". The Robot's Voice. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "Site News - PRESS RELEASE: Navarre Shuts Down BCI, Makers of He-Man, Day Break, Price is Right and other DVDs". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- Lambert, David (September 19, 2012). "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - 1983, 1990 and 2002 Shows Together for ' 30th Anniversary' DVDs". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved September 19, 2012.