New American Cyclopedia
The New American Cyclopedia was a 16-volume encyclopedia created and published by D. Appleton & Company of New York over the years 1857 to 1866. Its primary editors were George Ripley and Charles A. Dana.
The New American Cyclopedia was a general encyclopedia with a special focus on subjects related to the United States. As it was created over the years spanning the American Civil War, the focus and tone of articles could change drastically; for example, Jefferson Davis, the future president of the Confederate States of America, was treated at length as a United States Army soldier and US government politician.
A notable contributor was Karl Marx, then a European correspondent for the New York Tribune, who, under the suggestion of the editors, submitted articles on military affairs (for which he may have collaborated with Friedrich Engels). He also wrote a highly unsympathetic biographical article on Simon Bolivar.
The New American Cyclopedia was revised and republished as the American Cyclopedia in 1873.
- Burnham, Charles. "The New American Cyclopedia, 1857-1866: A Time Capsule of the 19th century". AE Database. Americana Exchange. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- Lindley, Mark (August 18, 2010). "Marx and Engels on Music". MRZine. Monthly Review. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- Marx, Karl (between December 1857 and January 8, 1858). "Bolivar y Ponte". marxists.org. Retrieved August 18, 2010. Check date values in:
|date=(help) First published in the New American Cyclopedia, Vol. III, 1858.
- "The American Cyclopedia 1873". Miller's Paradise Islands (private website). Archived from the original on September 3, 2012. Retrieved August 18, 2010. Includes photograph of title page.
- Appletons' annual cyclopaedia and register of important events of the year: 1862. New York: D. Appleton & Company. 1863. p. i.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The American Cyclopaedia.|
- George Ripley; Charles A. Dana, eds. (1879). The American Cyclopedia (2nd ed.). New York: D. Appleton and Company. via Hathi Trust
- Links to digitized volumes of the American Cyclopedia
|Volume 3||Bolan Pass||Carmine|