The New Mendicants
|The New Mendicants|
The New Mendicants, July 2013
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Associated acts||Pernice Brothers, Scud Mountain Boys, Teenage Fanclub, The Sadies|
Pernice and Blake, the bandleaders, are both expatriate musicians currently living in Canada after marrying Canadian women; Pernice, from the United States, is best known for his work with Scud Mountain Boys and Pernice Brothers, while Blake, from Scotland, is associated with the band Teenage Fanclub. 
Pernice and Blake first met in 2000 when their primary bands played a show together in London, England, and began collaborating as The New Mendicants after Blake's move to Canada. Belitsky, a Canadian musician and a member of The Sadies, had frequently performed as a drummer on Pernice's band and solo projects. Their first project was a film soundtrack, but the songs they created didn't make it into the film, but formed a basis for a live show and were later recorded.
The band's first live performance was a show at Toronto, Ontario's Dakota Tavern. They have also undertaken tours of Australia and Spain. In concert, the band performs both its own material and alternate renditions of both Pernice Brothers and Teenage Fanclub songs.
The band performed in the UK in 2013, and recorded a tour-only EP, Australia 2013 E.P.. They followed up with the full-length album Into the Lime in 2014. Into the Lime consists partly of songs that Blake and Pernice wrote for the upcoming film adaptation of Nick Hornby's novel A Long Way Down, but which were rejected by the film's producers.
- "The New Mendicants – the indie supergroup that begs to differ". The Irish Times, January 17, 2014.
- "The New Mendicants – review". The Guardian, Kitty Empire, 26 Jan 2014
- "Supergroup The New Mendicants Come To London". Londonist, Chris Lockie
- "The New Mendicants 'Into the Lime' (album stream)". Exclaim!, January 20, 2014.
- "The New Mendicants – review - The Lexington, London". The Guardian, Mark Beaumont, 11 Jul 2013
- "Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake, the Sadies' Mike Belitsky and Joe Pernice Form the New Mendicants". Exclaim!, January 7, 2013.
- "The New Mendicants: Into the Lime". Pop Matters, Matthew Fiander 04 Feb 2014