The New Workout Plan
|"The New Workout Plan"|
|Single by Kanye West|
|from the album The College Dropout|
|Released||August 31, 2004|
|Format||12" vinyl, CD single, digital download|
Sony Music Studios
(New York City)
|Length||5:22 (album version)
3:45 (radio edit)
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
"The New Workout Plan" is the final single from Kanye West's debut album, The College Dropout. Released in late 2004, the single peaked at number fifty-nine on the U.S. Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. John Legend, Anna Nicole Smith, Tracee Ellis Ross, Vida Guerra, GLC and Fonzworth Bentley made cameo appearances on the song's music video.
The official remix for the song was produced by Lil Jon and features a new verse by West and guest appearances from Twista, Luke, and Fonzworth Bentley. The remix was later included on The College Dropout Video Anthology.
The lyrics of "The New Workout Plan" are voiced from the point of view of various girls reacting to a fictional workout video created by Kanye West. The single is a satirical take on the absurdity of the gender binary in which women are valued only for their bodies, and men are valued only for their money. The song includes fictional "testimonials" from women who have successfully undergone the workout plan and have been able to attain a lavish lifestyle thanks to being in shape.
Information taken from The College Dropout liner notes.
- Songwriter: Kanye West
- Record producer: Kanye West
- Recorder: Keith Slattery, Andrew Dawson, Eugene A. Toale
- Mix engineer: Manny Marroquin
- Additional vocals: John Legend, Sumeke Rainey
- Guitar: Eric "E-Bass" Johnson
- Piano: Ervin "EP" Pope
- Violin: Miri Ben-Ari
- Moss, Cory (2004-04-17). "Run-In With A Bentley Uncovers Some Kanye West Remix Plans". MTV. Retrieved 2009-01-04.
- The College Dropout (Media notes). Kanye West. Roc-A-Fella Records. 2004. 986 173-9.