The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College
The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College is a guide published annually by the Cardinal Newman Society to assist students in choosing a Catholic college or university. It includes a list of Catholic institutions of higher education selected for their adherence to Catholic teaching and commitment to higher education. The guide seeks to include schools which comport with the principles of Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
First published in 2007, the Guide identifies 20 of the 197 Catholic colleges in the United States, as well as seven colleges and universities abroad and online where, in the Society's view, "students can reasonably expect a faithful Catholic education and a campus culture that generally upholds the values taught in their homes and parishes."
The Guide claims "to show students where they can learn and grow in a genuine Catholic environment without the nonsense that has overtaken even some of the most well-known Catholic universities." Not all recommended colleges are accredited, and the criteria for recommendation includes whether or not the Tridentine Mass is offered on campus.
The Newman Guide is published both in printed book form and online. The Guide's website includes all of the information for free.
- Aquinas College (Tennessee)
- Ave Maria University
- Belmont Abbey College
- Benedictine College
- Campion College
- Catholic Distance University
- Catholic Pacific College
- The Catholic University of America
- Christendom College
- DeSales University
- Franciscan University of Steubenville
- Holy Angel University
- Holy Apostles College and Seminary
- John Paul the Great Catholic University
- International Theological Institute
- Mount St. Mary's University (Maryland)
- Northeast Catholic College
- Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Academy
- Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas
- St. Gregory's University
- Thomas Aquinas College
- Thomas More College of Liberal Arts
- University of Dallas
- University of Mary
- University of Navarra
- University of St. Thomas (Texas)
- Walsh University
- Wyoming Catholic College
- Mead, Thomas, The Newman Guide, Introduction Cardinal Newman Society 2010, accessed Aug. 19, 2011
- Most faithful Catholic colleges are also the most affordable, reports study, Catholic News Agency, Feb. 18, 2009
- 'Most Faithful' Catholic Colleges also Most Affordable: Newman Guide Profiles of Catholic Colleges Now Online, Christian Newswire
- The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College: What to Look For and Where to Find it. ISI Distributed Titles. ISBN 978-0978650216.
- "F.A.Q.s About This Guide". Cardinal Newman Society. Archived from the original on 2014-10-11. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "Comparison Chart of Recommended Colleges". Cardinal Newman Society. Retrieved 2014-10-07.