The News-Herald (Southgate, Michigan)
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Owner(s)||Digital First Media
(21st Century Media)
|Headquarters||One Heritage Drive, Suite 100
Southgate, MI 48195 United States
The newspaper is published every Wednesday and Sunday.
The News-Herald’s history dates back to the 1870s, when the Rev. George W. Owen established it in Wyandotte, MI. The Mellus Newspapers started in the 1920s, subsequently flourished for decades under famous publisher/editor William Mellus. The current News-Herald format was established under the Heritage Newspapers' brand in 1986, when the late industrialist Heinz Prechter brought the old News-Herald (based in Wyandotte, MI) and Mellus Newspapers (based in Lincoln Park, MI) from SEM Newspapers Inc. and combined them into a single Downriver publication each Wednesday. In 1988, The News-Herald relocated to their current offices at Interstate 75 and Northline Road in Southgate, MI and launched "Weekender" editions in select communities, which was later incorporated into Heritage Sunday and is now known as the Sunday News-Herald. A Friday edition of The News-Herald delivered exclusively via the United States Postal Service began publishing on March 3, 2006 and was discontinued after the April 20, 2012 edition. Following the 2013 merger of 21st Century Media and MediaNews Group to form current owners Digital First Media, the News-Herald was placed in 2014 into Digital First's newly formed Detroit region, which also includes longtime sister the Macomb Daily and the Detroit News. The other 21st Century-owned newspapers in Michigan were placed into Digital First's Michigan region, headquartered in Pontiac.
- "The News-Herald". 21st Century Newspapers. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- "Michigan Cluster". Journal Register Company. Archived from the original on 2007-11-10. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- "ALLEN PARK: Newspaper carrier celebrates 25 years on the job". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Friday News-Herald will debut March 3". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Friday features, stories will continue in Sunday, Wednesday editions". The News-Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-01.