The Next One
The Next One is a nickname that has belonged to the following ice hockey players:
The name is a play on Wayne Gretzky's nickname, "The Great One". Each of the players listed has been or is currently billed as the next Wayne Gretzky. Phil Kessel was considered to be on the list during his junior career, but his performance dropped in 2006 and he was taken off the list. To date, no player given the moniker has broken a National Hockey League record set by Gretzky. Mario Lemieux, "The Magnificent One", was the closest to breaking several of Gretzky's records, but he was never called "The Next One" by the media, because he was Gretzky's contemporary for most of his NHL career. The name continues to be used to highlight the achievements of young players still in their teenage years, who outcompete players older than them in minor league or international junior play as Gretzky did.
- Fitzpatrick, Fames. "Time for the Next Hockey Nickname". Retrieved 2007-02-07.
- "The Showdown with The Next One> Paul Kariya facing off against Maine mates". Bangor Daily News. Bangor Publishing Company. February 17, 1994. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- ""The Next One"". 2004-01-18. Archived from the original on 2007-03-12. Retrieved 2007-02-07.
- "The Next 'Next One?'". TSN. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- Alan Adams (April 24, 2013). "Connor McDavid burnishing 'Next One' status at U-18 tourney". CBC News. Retrieved November 10, 2013.